Monday, December 22, 2008

PIcture Perfect Post

I haven't written anything... but I've had folks ask for pics of the recent snow, and the prayer picture I did for the Christmas service. So here are some recent photos...

The boys and I played in the snow...

Their snowman is taller than mine!
(Click to enlarge)

As usual, I couldn't be satisfied with a regular snowman

We decided to change the floor plan of the kit!

Icing & candy

Finished! Grandma (Brenda's mom) watched.

Ta da!

I was asked if I would do a picture during the Sunday service... the one just before Christmas day. So, I tuned everything out... and wrote out the prayers and scriptures which came to mind, switching colors as I went so it formed an image.


Isaac brought his trusty camera...


Praying


Finished picture

A detail

--------------------

A storm was predicted, so I took the boys around the house, showing them the sorts of things that should be done to prepare for cold weather.

Dad made a hearty breakfast.

I showed the boys how to set a faucet dripping just enough to keep the pipe from freezing.

I showed the boys how to shut off the water in case water pipes break.

-------------------

When it snows in the night... it is my custom to take advantage of that special time for prayer in Molalla River State Park. It did... and I was there a couple of hours before dawn. It also was Winter Solstice. It was a special time... Solitude, fresh snow hid the ground, the moon glided overhead...


A half moon accompanied...

Coyote, deer, and vole tracks

The lights from Wilsonville light up the Willamette River.


Sometime during the last half hour it has become day. Here are the solitary tracks I left two and a half hours earlier.

By the ponds.
We got some more snow today!

Wait Park is the heart of our town. Looks nice with its snowy cloak.

This was just taken in the last few minutes... It's a touch more snow that the Willamette Valley usually gets!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think it is so great grammaw is included with you and the boys!!! AND she's laughing!! Go Will, Jeremiah and Isaac!!!!

Elizabeth Harper said...

Love the structural changes to the traditional gingerbread house. Looks like you're having a good time too.

Anonymous said...

Love the photos.

Wishing you all the best this Christmas and a blessed New Year!

God bless you and your family! ♥

Ame said...

this post makes me smile. you're doing better'n you think you are. i know, it doesn't seem that way. but you are.

merry christmas

Jada's Gigi said...

Lovely pics! Love the gingerbread house! Nice work boys! :) we will be baking and decorating a snowman cake today...No telling how that will turn out! LOL
And the snow in the dawn....beautiful!
Merry Christmas, Will....be true

Erin said...

How wonderful... :)

And that two-storey gingerbread house totally rocks.

Amrita said...

Super photos.
God bless you all

Anonymous said...

Thanks For Sharing xxx

The Publican (Deb)
From
Western Australia

Curious Servant said...

This is a strange holiday for us.

It seems there are constant reminders over how things have changed. Every little tradition needs to be reexamined.

I had finished the shopping and Jeremiah asked if we are going to put stocking up. I had figured he was too old, but he wants, perhaps needs, the familiar rituals. So, I guess I'll run back to the store and pick up some stocking stuffers.

Getting Brenda a gift each year was important to me. What to do now? Nothing doesn't seem right. A gift doesn't seem right. So, I bought a box of those "Dots" candies she likes and wrapped it. A little something.

Sometimes I feel a catch in my throat as I think about trying to make this abnormal Christmas feel normal for my kids.

Dang.

No...

Shit!

Excrement!

The refuse that comes from the process of life, the detritus that is left when what in needful is removed and we have a steaming pile of left overs to clean up.

OK... Deep breath.

Life is good.

It really is.

Lucy Stern said...

So you have to change some traditions!! Make new ones.. Don't let thoughts about Brenda hurt your Christmas.. The Gingerbread house looks great, so does the snow. My husbands niece's live in the Seattle area and they can't believe all the snow. You are having a "true" white Christmas. Thanks for the pictures, they are wonderful.

Merry Christmas guys!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Will!

Anonymous said...

AND I'm sure you made it through Brenda's Christmas Eve visit well....
Told you so!!!!!

Fred said...

I enjoyed all the pictures and accompanying commentary, Will.

I hope you had a Merry Christmas and best wishes for a Happy New Year. I hope you and your family have a great holiday!

Unknown said...

Beautiful!