Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Snow

It is 2:00 in the morning. I have just awoken from a dream that felt wonderful... I must write it down:

-------------------


I was invited to the White House. There was snow all around, the soft yellow light coming from the large lantern chained to cupola over the porch made the white blanket over the lawns inviting... I walked across the snow and was welcomed by three former presidents.





Bill Clinton shook my hand, and the elder Bush led me into the East Wing, tugging at my elbow. His son followed.

I felt very patriotic. It was heady, meeting these men who'd held state secrets, led our nation, had made decisions which had safeguarded my country while I slept in ignorance.

The elder Bush, suddenly looking a little as if he'd stepped into the room from over two centuries ago asked me to come with him.

We walked to the Oval Office. He opened a cabinet and took out a musket. It was a beautiful weapon, fine wood, fine craftsmanship. It had a bayonet on it and looked like it might have been used during the Revolutionary War.


The Secret Service men standing discretely against a wall shifted nervously.

"This belonged to George Washington," he said. "Would you load it for me?"

It seemed I was an expert at such things (though I have never actually handled such a weapon). I knew what to do. In a few moments the gun was ready and I handed it back to the president.


I thought he was going to fire it from the porch, but he'd just gone to the window and held the gun while looking out over the snow.

He turned to us.

"There is something I've always wanted to do..."

He took a book down from a shelf, opened it with practiced ease, and began to read.

It was a poem by George Washington. It described a journey he'd made during the Revolutionary War. As the president read the poem the images of the countryside around our nation's capitol seemed to come alive and I was taken by vividness of the prose.



When he'd finished reading the poem he smiled, and put the book down. He called for one of the Secret Service agents who came and listened for a few moments. The man consulted with a microphone on his wrist, straightened up, picked up the musket, and left through the doors into the night.


A few moments later I heard a horse move off with muffled gait into the darkness.

The president looked at us, smiled and said: "I've always wanted to have someone who'd taken that particular journey come and tell me what it felt like. If you wish, you are welcome to wait for three days and hear it yourselves."

---------------

I woke from the dream, my new wife going to the restroom, a deep sense of patriotism filling me.

It was a wonderfully vivid and unusually emotional dream and I had to write it down.

6 comments:

Marvin said...

Fascinating!

Happy New Year!

Penny said...

Great Dream! Does that mean you got married?

Curious Servant said...

Yup! We were married December 12. Had a great honeymoon. Obviously, since we've found out that late this Summer there will be an addition to our home. It's a little early to make announcements, but I would welcome any prayers to help us get past the first trimester.

I will have to write a couple of posts about all the recent changes in my life.

Suffice it for now to say I'm a rather happy, pleased, content, joyful, and grateful person.

Penny said...

Congratulations and May God Bless you all! I will be praying.

Amrita said...

Congratulations to you both. Can 't wai t to see the pictures too.

Fox's Mom said...

Oh wow!! I was going through my blog and found your first comment to it. So I clicked over to your profile to find you've found a partner, and are now expecting!!

Congratulations, what a wonderful thing to have happen for you-I'm so happy to hear of it:)

Em, I've recently remarried myself-found a wonderful man a couple of years ago, and on the 17th of Jan 2011 I married him-I've moved to Scotland, and best of all, my son and I have managed to reunite. We spoke by phone just before Thanksgiving '10. Thank-you for your prayers, Fox is even going to church now, has been for a couple of years I found out.

Peace be always with you,

Fox's Mom (aka Bianca)