Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Prayers

Something is different.

Not with my home or work. Well, work may be a little better. I am getting better at separating the turmoil in my heart from the focus I need to do my job well. As for home, I have no clue if Brenda is keeping her word and not seeing this other man with questionable integrity.

The difference is in my spiritual life, specifically, my prayer life.

My prayer life used to be rich, complex. It included singing and worship and art and long quiet walks.

Then things got rough. About as rough as they did 15 years ago when I had another trauma to my spirit.

With the events of the last few months my prayers went through changes, changes which reflected the changes within me.

No need here for the descriptions of disbelief, anger, and grief. What is more interesting is the dryness of my prayers. The colors draining out of my art, the joy draining out of my songs.

My prayers became focussed on things I believed Brenda needed:

“Lord, my Lord, please bring someone to my wife, someone to come along side of her to help her draw near to you. Send people to pray for her, to help her find her way back to You.”

That was a time of specific prayers. And though she still seems far from opening her heart to God, I believe those prayers were answered, I didn’t pay much attention to those answers to my prayers, but I believe they were there. My prayers were changing.

In my confusion and anxiety I found myself unable to pray for specific things anymore. So my prayers became general.

“Lord, my Lord, please grant me patience, wisdom, strength, and endurance. Show me what to do, let me follow You more easily. I feel I am in darkness and I need your light.”

The cycle of the days of the weeks had their own patterns. Tensions rose after our counseling sessions. Her anxiety over keeping up appearances at church brought tension as well. Slowly I came to a place where I could accept whatever may happen. And for a while my prayers seemed simply quiet, talking to God with only my heart, the words ran out. My prayers were changing.

A friend recommended a book to me. A novel. The plot is a little contrived, but the theology was pretty good. What is more intriguing (present tense as I am still reading it, about two chapters left to go) is that the thoughts I have had about God, things I have written, posted here, and other writings left unfinished, unposted, were reinforced with each chapter I read. I would write about the nature of God, and the next chapter what I read seemed to echo what I wrote. I wrote about seeing Jesus as a friend, and the next chapter explored the idea.

And that is where my prayers are now.

I have been talking to Jesus, just as I would if he were an ordinary guy. I’ve been praying to Him about the recent snows, the loss of some of those trees our owl stayed in, about the way I feel... just stuff, ordinary stuff.

The novel is nearly wrapped up. But I seem to be bumping into it in other places. One of my 8th grade students saw it on my desk today, told me he had read it, that many people at his church had read it. The counselor saw it with me today, spoke quite a bit about how there seems to be many people reading it lately and he had asked a theology professor to check it out for him. An email from our church today mentioned the novel would be the subject of an upcoming Sunday School class and the book would be available for purchase at our church.

I just know that it has echoed my thoughts, that what I have felt lately has been repeated in each subsequent reading.

Regardless of the popularity of the book or its apparent connection it has had to my recent spiritual thought, the more important issue for me is the connection to my prayer life.

I am feeling closer to Jesus Lately. I think I can almost truly call Him my friend. It is a paradigm shift, a change in how I feel about God.

I believe that there is evil in the world. I believe that most of it is caused by the choices we make because of the freedom we have to reject God. And I believe that He can make good come from evil. He can use it for good, even though He had nothing to do with the causes.

I believe the pains I have felt over these last six months are being turned to something good. For my soul.

It gives me a little peace. My heart seems to have healed a little bit this week.

I can feel my big brother near.

Feels pretty good.

14 comments:

eija said...

I'm truly happy for you! Really knowing (not just in one's head but in heart) that He's near, makes all the difference.

Praise the Lord :)

Anonymous said...

that is good news.
i thank abba.

Aphra said...

I am glad for you :)
I just received that book in the mail, so I'll be reading it soon too.

Ame said...

:)

I have that book on my nightstand. I purchased "So You Don't Want to Go to Church Anymore" www.jakecolsen.com, at the same time and read it first. (you can download it online for free). I understand this is similar and can't wait to read it, too.

God is good in this way ... mixing our lives together, reinforcing what He is teaching us in many different ways. I love that about Him :)

Gigi said...

the theology....correct...on both counts...loved the book, it's illustration of the trinity captivating.....His touch in and on your life, your joureny undeniable. thanks for sharing it with us.

Gigi said...

the peace that goes beyond anything we can understand....

Amrita said...

May the Lord comfort and protect both of you as the battle rages around you. Keep praying and holding on no matter what. Jesus understands.

What is the name of the novel. Most probably its not available in India.But if it ever will then I will try to get it.

Curious Servant said...

The novel is "The Shack" by William Young. Where I mentione "The Novel" in the post I have made it a link to the primary web wsite for it.

It is well worth reading, especially for the theology. (JH, I think you'd like it).

Apparently it is becoming popular and there is talk about turning it into a movie.

Today was our curch's 24 hour prayer. I had from 5:00 to 6:00 a.m. I began another artist prayer on the wall there. It is a swlightliy larger than life image of Jesus the Carpenter working on a large timber with a deep notch for the insertion of a cross beam. He is handling a chicel and mallet.

I've continued to keep my prayers focussed on Jesus, as an ordinary guy who gets it. I'm exploring this idea of Jesus as my friend. Interesting that this has prompted me to go back to artistic expression of my prayers.

An update on home: Brenda was especially sweet last night. She baked a blackberry pie. The dinner she prepared for me was artistically laid out, sliced tomoatoes in a sun burst pattern. She patted me on the shoulder as she passed the dining room where I was reading with Isaac ("The Magician's Nephew" by CS Lewis). During the night she seemed to snuggle a little closer. Could her heart be changing? I have no clue. I don't trust her. Strange to be extra suspicious when she becomes nicer.

We are going out tonight. Dinner and a movie. Maybe we can rebuild this marriage.

I have another post bubbling up inside of me. It is about family. I have my church family, a group of people I keep these secrets from. I have my real family, my mom and dad, brothers and sisters, who I also do not confide in. Those who visit this blog are pretty much the only oones I share what is going on with. I need to work through those thoughts... so, I feel another post coming on.

Unknown said...

Thanks Will. I'll check it out.

I am so glad to hear your spirits are lifting. Although I haven't been by for a bit, I have thought of how you are doing every day.

Now that I am past this months work deadline, I can be a little more attentive;-)

J.

Anonymous said...

Goooooooo Willllllll
Go with God and with us, your friends by your side.

Ame said...

God is revealing Himself to you in deep and intimate ways, Will. You will be grateful for how you come to know Him :).

Jada's Gigi said...

So! Praise the Lord...He is answering OUR prayers for YOU! :) God is SO amazingly good! I'm happy for you broter, that you are finding HIM in the darkness. It really is all about Him...always..

Curious Servant said...

"Joe" dropped by Job's Tale which sports essentially the same post as this one. He isn't privy to this site, but I thought I'd place his comment/question here with my response:


Joe said...

Do you mean having this
"relationship" instead of church?

The personal relationship is essential for salvation.

Paul wrote to churches as well as to individuals.

Christ died for the church, and the church is the body of Christ.

I think I might be a spleen.

4:58 PM, February 01, 2008


curious servant said...

Joe: What I am saying is that church, not the Church, presses a certain conformity onto the believer. While the positives of this are an increased reverence and certainly a safeguard to essential doctine and theology, it can also get in the way of the sort of relationship that men can have.

Jesus, being fully man, as well as fully divine (the eternal mortal), knew the value of friendships. I believe that is also a sort of relationship He wants to have with me.

And truthfully, I am in sore need of His friendship of late.

Anonymous said...

CS, i understand what you're saying about praying specifically. things have been like a roller coaster on my end. it tough.