Friday, October 3, 2008

It Was A Big Day

Through my reflection in the window before me, I watched an Oregon drizzle falling around the Portland Immigration and Naturalization Office, now under the protective cloak of Homeland Security.

To my right Isaac was dozing. To my left Brenda was crying quietly.

It was a big day.

The sky was clear 4:30 this morning; stars accompanied me as I walked the dog. I rushed the boys through breakfast, and then Isaac to his government class' teacher so she could approve his sources for his debate on Monday (he is assigned the Republican viewpoint on a proposed wall on the border with Mexico).

Brenda arrived a little before 9:00.

"Did you file the papers yet?"

"Yes."

A pained look flashed across her face.

"I thought so. You probably did it as soon as you could. Well, I guess there's no point in going to the AA meeting tonight."

"What do you mean? Are you saying you were going because of me? Because you thought it might help us work things out?"

"Yeah. But there's no point now."

"Sure there is. You don't need to go to the meeting for me. You need to go for you."

There was a lot more. I got ticked enough to say a few rough things. Nothing untrue, or even unkind. Just a touch more brutally honest than I usually am. I walked away before it got worse.

I thought of the words I emailed to someone earlier: "Too little too late," but I didn't speak them.

I do not want to be angry, or unkind, or hurt her. She is hurting herself enough.

She tried, successfully, to hide her tears from Isaac throughout the day.

We examined the naturalization papers carefully to ensure their accuracy. Waited for the twenty some others to do the same.


There was a delay of some sort, but then the soon-to-be citizens were lined up, and we were led up a tightly winding staircase of marble and brass to the second floor.

Parents and other observers were led first to a small auditorium. When we were seated, a solemn and silent parade was brought to seats in the front, each person clutching a letter of congratulations from The White House.

They were from all over the world. Mexico, The Philippines, India, Ukraine, Africa, Asia, South America, and of course, Haiti. One man was particularly concerned about changing his name to something that "sounded American."

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the
law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."


I am so proud of Isaac. It was wonderful seeing him stand there, hand raised, swearing to do what is expected of every U.S. citizen, though too many think too little about those privileges and responsibilities.

I got pictures. Even one for Brenda alone with Isaac there, and another with all of us.


I was so pleased, so proud, so excited to see my son secure in this country, this nation that has been blessed with so much. He is now protected from the possibility of being returned to that dark place of his birth, that island where the first European explorer set foot on New World soil.

I have my sons. I have my home and the security of my faith. My soon-to-be former wife has none of those things.

We hustled to get Brenda to work in time. Isaac sat in the back. Brenda's face was clouded. Misty.

I worried about her all afternoon.

I prayed for her.

She called this evening. No longer pleading. She was sobbing.

"I understand how you felt now. I understand what it must have felt for me to leave you. And I didn't try to comfort you. I am so sorry. I deserve this. I am so sorry."

This morning, when I was growling a little at her reminders of her own past hurts, I said: "Even now I know you can't be trusted. I bet that even though you want me again, you have called him again just since Tuesday night."

"Just to tell him I never want to talk to him again."

So she has nothing now.

She has given up her family. She has given up me. She has given up this other man (at least for now), and she has lost her home.

I have let her know I care. I have let her know I will pray for her. I have even let her know she is loved. And... I have let her know she has burned too many bridges.

I hear the deep ache in her voice. She is panicked. She is lost.

So I sit here, tapping away at this keyboard, secure in a home that has only my name on the deed. Secure in having my sons near me. Secure in the knowledge that Isaac has been granted the protection of this wealthiest of all nations... wealth of goods, of natural wonders, of freedom.

My joy is tempered by the knowledge that my wife is experiencing the frightened loneliness she had thrust on me this past year.

It was a big day.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I sit here, tapping away at this keyboard, secure in a home that has only my name on the deed. Secure in having my sons near me. Secure in the knowledge that Isaac has been granted the protection of this wealthiest of all nations... wealth of goods, of natural wonders, of freedom.

AND secure in the friendships you have developed out of your pain and sharing. We have learned a lot from you. You are very wealthy!

I feel for B. i really do. Not enuf to ask you to take her back. No more. But I will still pray for your whole family including B. Time for B to search after her own peace. May it come from herself and God soon.

Unknown said...

Congratulations Isaac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think and pray and hope for ALL of you.

Brenda GAVE up all those things. You DID NOT take them from her. HUGE difference.

Each time you handed her a glass half full of water and asked her to take two steps forward without spilling it, she either drank it or splashed it in your face.

Had she tried to take a step and spilled a drop, I know you would have replenished her glass. When the glass is purposefully thrown to the ground and shattered, there is nothing left to put the water in.

Love and respect always,

Justin

Erin said...

You have helped Isaac to achieve so much.
You're a great father!
Peace

Ame said...

the pain of allowing another whom you love so intimately the freedom to experience the consequences of their choices though you have tried with all your strength to avoid it ever having to be so ... i understand. if i remember, i will find the verses that comforted me here as God expresses His pain in having to allow Israel to experience the same. (if i forget, feel free to email me and remind me)

Curious Servant said...

Dearest Lord... I lift my wife up to You and ask You take her, for I can no longer watch over her.

Jesus, the Christ, Messiah of the Jews... You shaped history to enfold all mankind into Your embrace, if they would only choose it, and I ask that as you shaped nations, shape my wife's heart. Humble her Lord so she may relent of her stubborn willfulness.

Jesus, our Redeemer... I pray You make Your forgiveness something she can understand, so she may know how to forgive and to accept forgiveness.

Jesus, The Living Word... You were before all things, and knew all things before they came to be... breathe Your healing word into my wife so it renews her, lifts her, carries her on its breath back to a place of safety (for dear Lord, I can no longer protect her).

Jesus, the Healer... as You healed so many with Your touch, please touch my wife and heal her of all her hurts, the hidden anguishes she carries, dissolve her wounds and make her whole... I pray... I beg...

Jesus, the Carpenter... Jesus the ordinary man who made tables and fixed porches and shaped ordinary wood with ordinary human hands, help her to see how You understand the mundane burdens of being human and how You know the difficulties, the ordinary challenges of this world, so she can understand how deep your empathy for us goes. Jesus, the ordinary guy, the working man who could put down His tools to walk and talk with a friend, walk beside her so she knows the intersection between the divine and the unremarkable.

Jesus, my big brother... Son of God who ushers all into the family of the Father, help our sister, my wife, to feel Your love for those who are close to us. Help her to understand You as one who sees us all as family, and yearns, just as I do, to help those we are close to...

Jesus, Son of God, the portion of the triune God who holds the universe together... please, I pray, oh please, perform a miracle in her heart so she may be remade, she made be healed.

She has nothing Lord. She has cast away all that was, is, dear to her. She is lost, without a home, without a husband, without her children, without healing company of intimate love in her life, help her Lord... oh... please help her Lord... for I can no longer do it.

I lift her up to You, and I give her up to You, as I have no choice, but to set aside her as my wife, and I grieve over her choices, over what they mean to her...

Bless my wife Lord.

With all of my heart, with all of my mind, with all of my strength, I carry her to You and beg You to take her.

Amen.

Amrita said...

Congratulaions to Issac. Great milestone for you.

Sorry Brenda had it this way.
But SIN has to be called SIN. You just can 't excuse it and give it polite names.

You gave her enough chaces.

Lucy Stern said...

Congradulations to Issac, you can see the excitement on his face with that great big smile.

I hope Brenda goes to the AA meetings for herself.....She needs to heal and start making good choices for herself. She still is the mother of the boys and she will always love them even if she is not living under your roof. Please don't put her down in front of the boys.....We all need to pray for Brenda that she will find the Lord and let him heal her...

Anonymous said...

So happy for you Isaac. I became a citizen several years ago, and I a so proud to be an American. So here we are, both of us, celebrating the freedom that our new country can offer.
Love you, Ragna

Marvin said...

Hurrah for you, huzzah for Isaac! That's awesome!

Alcoholics are always sorry, always remorseful, and always retracing the steps that got them to the miserable place where they are now. They cannot change, will not change. You changed your life because you're NOT an alcoholic. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

i'm so happy for isaac! congratulations!

believe it or not, will, i still pray for you and brenda. one thing i knew will happen is this. not that i'm happy or relieved that brenda felt this way but i knew this going to happen. will, a prodigal will never have peace in his/her heart and mind. God will never stop wooing them until they realize what they did wrong and do what is right. yes, humans have free will but it's still God's purpose that will prevail.

i'll continue to pray for your family. God be with you now and always.

Anonymous said...

Hey Will. That's a great pic of you and Isaac - congratulations. I guess there's nothing I could say regarding B. that hasn't been mentioned here already. It speaks greatly of your own character that you still feel compassion towards her. Even though she's having it rough right now, the Lord can use all this to reach her heart. So I'm praying to that end. It's not until some of us are totally bankrupt in spirit that we're willing to hear the voice of the Lord. He must become her security.

God bless you, brother. I admire your faith, your perseverance, your heart. You have many friends here who care.

Gláucia Mir said...

Congratulations to Isaac. I'm glad that whole thing is taken care of, and he's "secure".
I pray Brenda will find God's comfort.
This "bottom" maybe what it takes. I can't imagine how hard it must be to watch....so, praying for you as well.