Monday, July 6, 2009

Culture Shock?

Perhaps I'm just tired...

Now and then something is said, or unsaid, and it is clear that there is some sort of serious misunderstanding.

Whenever I have been able to get to some sort of real communication I find that what I had thought, and what they had thought, was completely misunderstood.

There was another such moment a little while ago. Enough so that I felt I should just smile, leave a good tip, and leave.

There has been a growing sense of homesickness and right now I long to just be in my own home... sleep in my bed, hug my friends.

Perhaps I'm just tired.

There are so many things different about this place. The food, the environment, the animals, the attitudes, the culture. I've tried to suspend judgement over much of what might usually bother me a great deal in my home country. I've been seeking to understand...

I've made a number of friends here... people I think of as kind people...

But for this moment, just right now, I'm tired of the prostitution, the lady boys, the drinking, the... well... I don't know.

Perhaps it's just culture shock.

I have enjoyed this trip immensely. I feel more confident, more secure in who I am and what I believe. It has been an amazing trip.

But right now... I wish I were home.

No comments: