Sunday, July 5, 2009

Travelogue

I thought I'd just throw some pics on the blog pile. I've been sketching out ideas for a book and haven't spent much time on blogging.

I thought these might be of interest.

Working Monkey
They send these guys on long leashes up the trees to pick coconuts.
Buffalo

Thai boxing is huge here. These young lads have dreams. On Saturday nights there are always at least one round set aside for "Lady boxing" Aih, a waitress in a nearby bar, has been training and asked me to help her one day. I put on the padded girdle, and arm protectors and helped her train for an hour. She liked training with me because I am so much larger it was harder for her to pull me around. I think if it wasn't for the padded girdle she would have cracked a couple of my ribs! Last nuight was her matrch and I stapled 200 baht to her garland for luck... apparently to no avail. There is a video at the bottom of this post of her boxing... but a few seconds after the video stops her opponent kicked her in the stomach hard enough she was put out of commission and lost the match.


Dad came over at 6:00 a.m. to start our own Independence Day celebrations by lighting off 500 firecrackers under the neighbor's bedroom window.


I was astonished to see this young guy getting ready to box last night. At his request I put a little money on his garland as well. He also lost the match, but, he was smaller and younger than his opponent. I think though, there was a particular fire in his eye, and his training was weak. I think he will be formidable if a few years.

I was impressed by the respect the boxers, young and old, male and female, pay to each other, the judges, the audience. Very serious.

There was a rhythm to the boxing. Thai music blared loudly to a slightly modern beat using instruments that sounded like drums, whistles, strings, and maybe a bagpipe. They sort of danced throghout the fight... It reminded me of roosters and a highly ritualized dance.

The taller boy had the advantage, but as I said, I think a few years will see the stockier boy do far better. I am very uneasy having even watched this... I'm not sure if it's abuse or entertainment or an aspect of culture or something else. But it is a part of the sights and sounds of this trip, so I include it here.

Here is Aih in the first round wioth her opponent (she is in the black trunks with the yellow flames). She seemed to be winning throughout the match... then something happened, something I missed, which occurred just after the video below... which put her out of the competition. I was very concerned for her. She assured me she was alright.


2 comments:

Amrita said...

Hi Will see that you are doing good.

500 crackers under the neighbour 's window. I would have fainted - cackle - cackle!

We also have working monkeys and there is a rabid one doing the rounds in my neighbourhood these days.

I 'm not too fond of boxing but your short videos I liked because of the exotic location.

I really was moved by ther way you tried to help the bar girl and the story of the starfish and the boy.

Anonymous said...

shs - any plans to step into the ring yourself?! artless