Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Holiday

Went for a little ride to the top of the island this morning... Insects singing... clean, fresh air... majestic view...

Roadside Shrines

Miw

Yom
"You know that I am not a buddhist... I am a Christian."

They nodded.

"I want to ask something of you. Though you are not Christians, would it be alright with you if I say a prayer for you? Will you let me pray for you?"

Yom translated for Miw.

They nodded.

Heavenly Father... I lift these two women up to You and I ask You bless them. I ask Lord that You help them find their way back to their homes, back to their famiies, away from this place where they can only seek the crumbs left by wealthy farangs.

I pray Lord You bless Yom, bless Miw, lift them out of here and bring them to a place that is better for them, better for their hearts, and to a place where they can learn about you.
I ask this in the name of Your servant and Son, Jesus.

Amen.

I've been on holiday for three weeks now, and I find my heart and mind turning often to home and those I love.

Today is a Holy Day in Thailand, "Big Buddha Day." No alcohol is being served, the bars are closed, and two of the women I have gotten to know asked me if I would show they around the island a bit. All they know is the dingy house where they live, the bar where they work, and whatever places a customer might take them. They wanted to see the beach, a waterfall, just get away from their lives for a bit.

Yom has decided she has had enough. She does not want to go out with farangs for money. She wants to go home to her 14 year old daughter and give up on this life. I helped her find the branch of her bank so now she can get to her money and get out.

Miw is undecided. I talked for sometime to Miw, with Yom translating, what this place would do to her heart. I told her that I knew there wasn't any work, any money, back in her village, but that having her heart stay good was far more important than earning money.

Anyway... I took them around... the three of us riding on that little 125 cc motorcycle, and they had a holiday.

I doubt my prayer for them... the one I quoted above, said softly with my hands on their shoulders, will change much in their lives, but they both seemed grateful that this strange farang who sometimes talks with them like they are regular people, was saying as best he could, a blessing from his God over them.

I pray Miw thinks it over and follows Yom home.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Will for sharing your journey.
Isaac said he's still going good! Gave him some more cookies!

Curious Servant said...

Just a note about Yom...
Her 14 year old daughter, who she loves, is still in school. That is a rare thing here where most people only get four years of education.

(EVERYONE uses a calculator for EVERYTHING. I'm quite serious... they cannot add 30 baht and 20 baht without a calculator.)

Anyway...

Yom's husband beat her when she was 7 months pregnant with her daughter. She awoke 2 days later in the hospital after a C section.

Yom has a good heart, but is a deeply hurt person, and she just wants to get back to her daughter.

I hope Miw follows her example.

I'd be willing to pay Miw's airfare if she'd go.

Amrita said...

Will you are trying to make a difference in the lives of these poor hapless women, pray the God may use this to turn their lives around.
Most people wouldn 't be bothered.
They look so attractive. Wonder if they have some education to get them a job.