Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Valentine's Day

Brenda surprised me yesterday, asking if we should go to the counselor (it is our first session with the new one) on Thursday or go out to dinner since it is Valentine’s Day.

I told her that I wanted to help her, I wanted to stand by her, I want to work on our marriage. If she wanted to go out for dinner or go to counseling, whatever was best for us, I would be glad to do. Today I stopped on the way home to get a Valentine’s Day card for her.

Wasn’t easy...

“For the most wonderful woman in the world...”

“Our love will last forever...”

“When I think of all the happy memories...”

“When we kiss I feel...”

Card after card I couldn’t find one that didn’t seem to be mocking our situation.

I spent the longest time looking.

I finally found a simple one. On the front it said: “I love you” and on the inside it simply said: “forever”. I bought it.

She was in a terrible mood when I got home.

We tried to smooth things out before bed, but it didn’t work.

So... I’ve taken a sleeping pill to make me drowsy and a Xanax to reduce my anxiety. I'm typing this on my laptop in the living room. I'll be sleeping here tonight.

This year...

Valentine’s Day sucks.

7 comments:

Amrita said...

You express your love to Brenda everyday Will. But your card says it well.
Brenda is fighting a bitter battle too.She is unhappy.May she repewnt and surrender to the Lord and call sin by its proper name.
May the lord grant you His peace.

Gigi said...

“Hang on, Will. Hang on.”

Chris Krycho said...

As always... praying for you, Will. Keep walking. God bless you and keep you and make His face to shine on you - even in this.

Curious Servant said...

We are going out tonight. Got a gift certificate for a local restaurant from a friend for some favors I did him.

Swung by the store. Got some flowers.

Came home.

She had a card for me, I gave her the card I bought the other day.

It was awkward.

Anonymous said...

How well I remember those times. Lots of anxiety and fears. Never the right card to be bought.
I am there with you in your hopes and dreams.
Trusting something good will happen for my friend.
S

Anonymous said...

but you made it through the day Will.... one step at a time with some friends walking beside you and God holding you.

ukok said...

I 'm sorry to say that I remember those Valentines days all too well. Still praying for you.