Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Folk Art

Last night I brought the boys into the living room.

"I think we should learn to cook. Really cook. We eat too much hamburger helper, macaroni and cheese, tacos. Let's try some new things!"

They looked at me skeptically.

Especially Isaac.

"I think each of us should learn to cook one new dish. It can be our specialty. We can each fix our specialty once a week."

Still skeptical.

But after we threw some ideas around... we came up with some ideas of what we would each like to learn to prepare.

Jeremiah wants to learn how to make Sichuan beef.

Isaac wants to learn to make meatloaf.

Dad wants to learn to make Thai Panang seafood.

They got excited about the idea.

There is an area on a wall in the living room that used to display a large painting.

"I think we should do something with that space."

We got out a camera. Took the first picture you see below. Then after dinner tonight, we did one more thing to make this house our home.


Click to Enlarge



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic art, how did you do that, i love it?

Learning new cooking skills is a good thing too :-)

Amrita said...

All those dishes sound yummy altho i am not too fond of seafood.

You did that picture beautifully.
Did you projest your photo on the wall with a LCD and then paint over it?

Erin said...

:) Excellent!

Curious Servant said...

Amrita: Something like that.

I used sharpies to sketch it... then used the darker shade of orange we used on the walls to create the image.

Gigi said...

you guys just make me smile.....I have some simple recipes IF you're interested!!

Aphra said...

Cool art!!!

I use a slow cooker a lot because it's really easy and healthy.

Unknown said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT WILL...ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT



c

rebecca said...

:)

HennHouse said...

I love it.

Gláucia Mir said...

awesome! I love that art. Way to make it personal! Can you take a closer picture of the art to show us?
I've been on an internet fast til just this month. It's good to be back reading your updates Will!