Saturday, November 1, 2008

Alternate Ending

There’s a lot of name calling in my life.

It’s affectionate. I have a lot of good friends. They refer to me as Turkey Breath, or Lowlife, even S***head (that one always makes me smile).

It’s practical. How they refer to me tells me which “me” I should put on.

If someone calls me their “moon howlin’ buddy” they are telling me they are there for me. If I want to talk at 2:00 a.m., then call. If I want advice, they give it, kindly, with gentle honesty. If I need prayer, they will each do it,right then and for as long as I need it. If I am stranded in the hills somewhere, it is one of them I would call. If I need someone to help me move something, or lift something, or anything that any or them have the ability to provide, it is available.

If a child calls me “maestro” instead of “teacher,” when they, in their excitement, slip into their native language, I know they think of me as someone who holds a lot of status and they will be respectful, affectionate.

The names are serious. They encourage. They say I am introspective. I’m eclectic. They call me creative, kind.

If I’m called neighbor or mister or sir or dude or subscriber or “the man who has two kids” or “the guy who just got a divorce” or “his dog just died” or “the guy who needs to mow his lawn,” I know how to react, how to act. I know what sort of conversation I should engage in, what attitude to take in my thinking. I hear their voices, I see myself reflected in their face, body language, and I see who I am to them. They provide me a mirror. They show me a reflection of myself, I learn a little more about who I am.

Each day I walk among hundreds of people. Children, colleagues, superiors, friends, clerks, acquaintances, members of my spiritual family. Each person reflects my actions, the projected “me” I find useful for that moment, and I judge who I am by who they are. I am surrounded by mirrors reflecting who I am, each one distorting a little, ripples in the surfaces.

I have an unusual opportunity. I have a chance to see a reflected image of myself without, or at least fewer, distortions. I have the luxury of being honest. I have never really known who I am, except when I was a child and those ideas I had about the moods of clouds, and the way our back alley viewed me as I tore through on my bike. I had ideas about how far away the moon must be by comparing fences and houses. I had ideas about faith, who Jesus was/is/will be, and how I fit into it. I had encounters with the universe which shaped a relationship with my heart, mind, and faith. I was less likely to see a distorted view of myself because I hadn’t quite put it together yet.

But now I am 52. I have resources I have never had before, and I can look harder, more honestly than I have been. I can shed the image of my reflection in Brenda’s face. With it I can shed the reflection of myself as I tried to be a “me” that interacted with her in that peculiar dance we have done through the years. I can read or write or anything I wish, to run our lives the way I see fit.

The quite strange post before this one began as a framework for understanding the order of events in my life, help with writing a different post.

Since posting that strange chronology, I have thought... I wrote of two futures, an attempt at self honesty. I wanted to reevaluate the future I would have had with Brenda, knowing now parts of her I hadn’t understood before. I wanted to write an honest future without her, honest even to diminishing certain dreams.

Any future I write will be incorrect, I haven’t quite figured out how to skip on and off this timeline to see for myself.

I think the two futures were not exactly what they really would be. I think I will succeed in many of the things I want to do. I think there will be many things which will happen I don’t expect. I think my seriousness to be truthful to myself will shape me, new growth resulting in a different future.

It is a profoundly startling epiphany seeing her not the person I thought she was for nearly three decades is someone different, and that the “me” I am, what I do, what I think, what I feel, is made up so much performing the “me’s” needed for the situations I find myself in.

I haven’t a lot of certainty of who I really am, if I strip away all the projections I use, need... to buy an item at a store, or check the validity of a medical bill, or respond to a hurting friend.

At this time I have an unusual opportunity. I can be whoever I want to be. Including the me who walks through life knowing himself to be more than the reflections of this universe, this chamber of mirrors.

Possible futures are sort of like the DVDs advertising alternate endings, I could tell different endings to my story, different than the previous post. There are many possible rewrites, one for each moment I am free to choose what I will do, what I will be. I might walk through life, each step closer to the true me, project fewer convenient “me’s” and simply “be,” more.

How about this one?

---------------------------------------

Alternate Ending:

2029 We divorced.

I married four years later. Someone surprisingly kind. It was easy to relax and easy to be comfortable with who I am.

I tore down the house and built that house I’d fantasized. Isaac and his family lived with us . Their children have almost moved on. I found time for doing the reading and writing and thinking I love, I found myself growing closer to God. I became quieter.

I found myself slowing down.

Most of my interactions have been through the latest gizmos they use to make it easier to “talk” to other people. I still make it a part of my life to frequently see a few.

I did surprising things with my art and writing. I was myself, and the Lord blessed me.

I found the journey I began was about understanding who I was before I started reinforcing particular reflections to particular people.

Something about 1961... About my faith... The year I learned things about God no one told me, simple truths I could see before I let reflections blurred my vision.

I found being who I was, how He did subtle things to my spirit when I was very young, made my life more pleasing, to me and to Him.

A good thing too. In caring less about the “me” I need to be, and the “me” that simply loves God and follows my heart, I love people more. The more I enjoy learning and puzzling and singing and praying and being creative, the more the needs of my life were met. I did very well.

--------------------------------

There must be many other alternate futures for me.

My children are upset about their mother being gone. Upset the dog suddenly died. The house is suddenly far more empty than it was. They are trying to please their dad, with all his demands of them to suddenly learn how to do things they never did before.

My children are worried for their father, a little manic lately, and want to make it easier for him. Their kind hearts...

My children are reaching huge milestones in their lives, gaining adulthood (Isaac voted for the first time yesterday! An adult U.S. citizen!). They are trying to figure out what their roles are, what they can do, can’t do,who they are.

There is the chance to see a life that simply does things a lot different than I would have.

I love the conversations I am having with my children. We talk about the real stuff now. We talk about the real way we feel about things, what we really think, what we really might do. Te topics have shifted to important things.

Life is strange.

I am suddenly free to reinvent myself, my future. My home.

This guy, the guy I really am, is free to draw, or write, or pray, or talk with my children, in new ways.

It’s scary and sad and tiring (so very tiring) and exhilarating.

11 comments:

Curious Servant said...

We spent the afternoon together. Brenda, the boys, and I. We went to a movie (Igor) and video arcade for Isaac's birthday.

It was strange. Sitting next to her I kept feeling it natural to put my arm around her.

We hugged a few times, but made sure it was as platonic as we could make it. It was clear she wanted me to kiss her.

She said several times how she'd like to move back.

I maintained an awkward silence each time. Implying I don't go out with women who are in a relationship.

She just told me she'll get a U Haul and get her stuff next weekend.

She just drove off sadly.

It was hot in the arcade and we stepped outside for fresh air and talked a little. She apologized for all the mean things she has said and done. I told her I forgave her. That if I didn't forgive her it would eat at me, shrivel my heart. I said that she needed to do that to, starting with forgive herself, then God, me, everything and everyone, and begin looking for and toward beauty.

She knows she has screwed up. She wants to undo it. She knows that I am past letting her in and out.

I'm not telling her there is any way for us to work it out. I'm no longer telling her she needs to prove herself. I'm just saying I want her happy and she should look to becoming happy on the inside.

She blames herself for Rocky's death. Thinks she could have noticed signs and gotten him help, and that I didn't see it because I was too busy learning to run this house, and that makes it her fault.

I find silence or a murmured disagreeing sound is best.

Well... time to get the boys ready for bed.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the future for you is totally different than any of the above.....

Maybe you are meant to be the strong, wise teacher that many of us look up to....to raise your children and then to bring yourself to a peace that you haven't known these past few years.

Then to continue teaching for your living but to also continue to teach us who learn so much from you from your writings.

It's nice to think about what our life will be like in the next few years but if I think too much I will try to make it happen.....God has a plan...doors will open and doors will close...people will go in and out of our lives. The important thing is how we treat them when they are in it.

I am a better person to have known you....you make me think.

Still praying....

Curious Servant said...

I'm not sure who left such a nice, kindly comment. Thank you.

You are right about trying to own the future, trying to make it something we build, something we coerce the world to give us.

Still... I feel a little hopeful about the future. I know that the only thing I have that is truly mine, is my will. I know I have a good heart. I care about people. If I keep that first, loving God, loving others, first, then I know my future will be OK.

Just different than it would have been.

B is suggesting a reconciliation, but I make it clear that isn't going to happen. Not as the people we are.

The previous post which began this little thought experiment regarding twenty-one years into entropy's direction... was a fun little experiment. Not something I want to do a lot of... but it is unsettling to have ones dreams, vision, shift so much.

I hope Brenda finds peace.

Lucy Stern said...

Will, Brenda still doesn't understand that "actions speak louder than words." You keep telling her that you need to see her change, and she just keeps telling you she is sorry for what she has done. You are looking to the future and she is still in the past.....

You have been such a positive role model for the boys.....You are there for them now and you always will be. Your love for them is strong and they know that, so just hang in there.....

You have a whole bed of emotions you are dealing with now; so do the boys. They need your support more than ever now. Visa/versa, they are there for you too...

I remember once a friend of mine was going thru some hard times...She said, "I quit!" I said, "Then what!" She was a bit startled by my statement, but she realized that you can't quit,,,you just keep on going.

Our journey through this life is relatively short when you consider eternity. I think God expects us the wear the "Armour of God" and keep fighting. We all have our challanges, but what counts is how we handle them. Right now, I would say, you are doing well under the circumstances....Keep looking to the future and pray for a good outlook....You can't predict the future, you can only take what cards that you are delt and play them well. Don't let the past tear down a good future for you and the boys.

Here is a quote that keeps me going: "Satan will always vote agaist you, the Lord will always vote for you and YOU make the deciding vote." Your future is put into your hands, Will: make the best of it...I know that you can. Stay strong for yourself, the boys and whatever the Lord asks you to do. You can' quit! You wear the armour of God, so use it to the best of your abilities.

I echo anonymous above....he said it so eloquently.

Anonymous said...

Hey, C.S.! I’ve been reading your blog for a while. I like it. You write good. You are open, honest. Gotta ask you tho. You seem to know about a lot of stuff. Why do you believe in the Jesus stuff? I mean, doesn’t just sound a little weird that some all powerful being would create this mess of a life for us, and then try to “save” them? And that he had to do that by getting himself tortured and killed. The whole thing sounds a lot more like a bizarre story people tell themselves to make themselves feel better than the way that some alien being outside the universe and can do anything, find no better way to get into touch with people by having a part of a “trinity” became a person.

I hope I don’t offend you, Will. But how does this faith of yours mesh with science? And how does all the crap you have been through make it seem to you that there is a good god and not just a bunch of tough things happening.

You’re a good guy. Keep writing. I love coming here.

Anonymous said...

B is suggesting a reconciliation, but I make it clear that isn't going to happen. Not as the people we are.

Do you think this comment gives her a false sense of hope? If she changes enough? A dangling carrot she may see and you may not see that it's happening?

Just a thought.

I'm glad you're moving forward. You have so much to give and you're doing it well!

Curious Servant said...

Well... I didn't even say, as we are... I simply stood there, not answering. Within the unspoken language of the dance she and I have learned to do, that was stating disagreement.

And you are right about a false sense of hope. not entirely false, because in the same breath she says she understands why I cannot take her back.

And on the other hand, everything she has done shows she is unable to accept that there will be a time when she truly cannot do the on and off thing we have been doing. She is having trouble believing that I am standing firm. She is having trouble seeing how strongly her actions have spoken of her own inabilities, ones too great for me to overcome.

It is sad.

I am sorry about it.

This coming month is our wedding anniversary. And we've been sharing that day for almost three decades.

I have carried this broken marriage as far as I can. I have to set it down now.

Anonymous said...

It took my former spouse 3 years to realize that I was not going to play the game anymore...

And every year on our wedding anniversary date I think about our marriage, the promises we made, the ones broken and the wonderful children that I am raising because of it. It makes me thankful and sad because of the choices he made and what he is missing.

I wasn't saying in my previous comment to not hope for the future. I too have hope for the future. I know that God loves me and I am so glad that my future is in His hands and not mine alone.

Unknown said...

Will ~

I just wrapped another long deadline at work and finally found time to stop by and catch up on your posts. I am deeply saddened and sorry for your loss of Rocky. And I am sorry I wasn't here for you when he passed.
Usually the last week or two of each month (deadline) is so hectic and filled with non-stop computer work, I don't do much with the computer once the day is done. And last week was Halloween and my and Julie's anniversary, planting 35 daffodils and hyacinths, stacking a half-cord of firewood, etc., etc., etc.
I feel like I've been out of touch for months. I will try to be more attentive.
Also, as always, feel free to call me anytime.

Love ya Bro.

Justin

Gigi said...

Ecc. 7:8 The end of a matter is better than its beginning,and patience is better than pride..

Will Thank You for sharing this journey with us......

Marvin said...

Every picosecond of your life, an infinite number of possibilities branch off into the future. Many merge into a thick band of what is your future, but some are thin threads of promise (or doom) that lead off in unexpected directions. That's what makes four-dimensional life fun.