Friday, August 22, 2008

Comfortable and Fair

It's unpleasant (this whole mess).

Human beings prefer lives that are comfortable. Physically comfortable. Emotionally comfortable.

When we, aw...

OK...

Me.

When my comfort is disturbed, when I have to change, have to adapt to circumstances I do not like, I resist.

My first resistance is to ignore it. Deny it. Disbelieve.

That was my first reaction when Willy died. It was my first reaction when I suspected my wife unfaithful.

When Willy died I didn't want to believe I was no longer a father. When Brenda betrayed me I did not want to believe that the future I envisioned was not to be.

This seems natural. It makes sense we do not want to be uncomfortable, for our lives to hurt.

But, on further reflection, I think it is a little odd. Why should we expect it be something it isn’t?

I don't know much about childbirth, but it seems to me that the transition from the safety of the womb to this world must be, at least, uncomfortable, at most, terribly frightening.

We come into this world uncomfortable.

And it continues. We discover what it is like to be hungry. No wonder babies cry so much! Suddenly they need to be fed. And they grow tired, unused to the noise and input that keeps them awake longer than they would like.

The first few days, first few weeks, of our lives are filled with learning this world is an uncomfortable place.

Yet, here I am, 52 years old, and I am surprised when I get hurt.

When I was a toddler I fell down. I skinned my knees learning to walk, probably in just in learning to crawl. Falling from swings, and bicycles. Hitting my thumb with a hammer, almost every lesson I learned, almost everything I know, what "hot" means, what "sharp" means, what cold, and itchy and rough and sad and angry and nearly everything I have experienced, told me the world is uncomfortable.

And it surprises me.

Why is that?

Why should I be surprised my marriage has failed? She is human. She has been fashioned like all the rest of us, to think about her comforts, pleasures, wants, needs. How could I expect she put me before herself?

Yet I did.

It is odd humans expect the world to be comfortable.

We also expect it to be fair. Or at least we feel it ought to be.

Why? There is little evidence it should be.

Tyrants have ruled and hurt and killed throughout history, throughout prehistory.

Disease has swept through families and villages and nations throughout time.

Even the earth beneath us has risen up and hurt us without warning. Volcanoes have spouted death, the oceans have risen and washed away lives.

Yet, we have this sense that things should be fair. They simply aren't. The world is not made that way.

So why do we think life should be comfortable and fair?

I think it is because, deep in our hearts... or rather, deep in our souls, we know that on the grand scale of things, happiness, comfort, fairness, is built into who we are, is what our maker wants for us. Deep within us we have the sense of rightness for us, a sense that joy is the fabric from which the universe is made.

Because, deep within us, we sense eternity. We carry the proof of a loving God within our natural expectations that life should be comfortable and fair.

There is a lack of “proof” God exists... no signature of the artist on the canvass, at least not the sort everyone can see.

And... there is an abundance of “proof” God exists.

We believe life should be comfortable, fair, when all the evidence is to the contrary.

And more... Why do we sense so many things which provide no advantage for our survival? If evolution were the only force behind what we are, why do we have the sense of beauty? Why do we feel joy? Why do we care about strangers? The environment? How is it we can offers ourselves? Self sacrifice. Service to others.

Last week I was in the Prayer room at church. I was praying out loud, singing, writing prayers on the walls. And I was hurting. I was grieving.

But there is a part of my mind which seems to always monitor how I am thinking, evaluating myself. And that part of me, looking down on the emotional, hurting part of me, saw something beneath the pain.

I saw joy.

I saw that below, or behind, beneath, what I feel now, there is an underlying truth of beauty and joy and wonder.

If all I am is my mind, the emotions it conjures, the tempests of my heart, why would I sense peace and joy and love deep underneath? Why would I be tossed about in a stormy sea, and clinging to the broken mast, and know that in the depths of the ocean is a calm, wondrous, joyous love?

Because...

I am His.

I am nothing. a bit of protoplasm on a spinning ball of dirt on the edge of a galaxy of billions of stars of a galaxy swimming among hundreds of billions of galaxies, in a single brief moment of the time line of this universe... I am a whiff of smoke, I am a cloud of molecules held together in the form of a man for a brief span of a few score years...

And I know that the being which created the whole thing, who holds the universe together as a single thing, a made thing, from creation to the end of time, as easily as I might hold a hat... I know that being who is impossible for me to imagine, has seen me, knows me, cares what happens to me, loves me.

That is why I believe in comfort, fairness, joy.

Because He gave me a soul that senses... eternity.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Your writing makes me think, smile and cry. Sometimes sad. Sometimes happy. Always good.

Love and friendship always.

Justin

Anonymous said...

ditto judas hate

Lucy Stern said...

Will, you are a good writer and I also agree with the two guys above. I happen to believe that we can make our own luck. We can make our own happiness. I believe in Polyanna and that we have the ablility to turn sadness into happiness. I bet that, if you looked around, there is someone out there that has had it worse off than you. I remember taking my dad with me to see a friend in the hospital. This woman had been thru the wringer and as we left the hospital, my dad said, that he didn't feel so bad now. He saw that there were others in a lot more pain than he was.

I know that every time I read your blog, I thank the Lord that I only have my set of problems to deal with. It may take time, but you can let go of the past and make a new, happier future for you and the boys. YOU (and the Lord) are the designer of your future. The boys were given to you for a reason and you are the one that the Lord wanted to take care of them. Don't look at how hard it is going to be, look at it as a chance to help mold them into wonderful human beings. The Lord knew that it was going to be hard, so he found you to do the work because he knew you could do it. "Be Happy in your Work"! Stay Strong!

Ame said...

may i submit another pov?

within the egocentricity of our humanity, we expect others to be as we are. i am thoughful of others, considerate of who they are, of their time, wanting to reach out and help. i am shocked when others do not do the same for me that i do for them ... even very good friends.

my ex always has an ulterior motive, always expecting and planning for the worst. he believes everyone else is the same way and cannot for the life of him believe i do not have ulterior motives for everything i do.

you are a man who loves to bring comfort to others. you are fair, even when it costs you something. and you find joy because you believe in Him. so you are shocked when others are not the same ... and even disappointed ... especially those closest to you who can come into your heart and soul and experience these with you. you wonder how it is they cannot see and know what you see and know.

you are a good man, fair and just, thoughtful and considerate, knowing and believing in THE God.

Curious Servant said...

Trout that Jeremiah caught this summer.

Corn from the garden.

Salad (lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, carrots)from our garden

Fresh biscuits

Fresh strawberries (garden)

We had a retired missionary couple over for dinner after church.

It was a great afternoon. It was fun to be the host. The boys said they really liked it and we have discussed who we should invite next.

I told the boys that just because this is an all male house now we are not going to turn into troglodytes,eating over the sink and grunting about how good the food is. I told them that we aren't going to let this house turn into a man cave.

We are going to keep the house nice, ready for company. We are going to have regular, healthy meals.

So, new tradition: On Sundays we will invite someone over for dinner, prepare a large meal. This will give us left overs for the week, hone the boys' manners, and generally keep us civilized.

I also had a talk with each boy about their responsibilities. That they will continue to do what is expected of someone living anywhere, house cleaning, yard work, whatever needs doing. I also said that by the time the school year ends I want them to have all the skills they need to be self-sufficient. know how to cook, do laundry, handle money. I also said that while I want some time with them each day, talking to them about what is going on, praying for them, I am not going to tell them when to go to bed anymore. They are big enough to make their own choices.

I said that if they want to stay up later, and I am going to bed, they need to keep it quiet for me, but they also need to come to me, talk to me, let me pray for them.

I told Jeremiah he is too old for an allowance. I told Isaac that when he turns 18 in November his allowance will also end and I expect him to find some after school work to keep money in his pocket.

I told them they are too old for me to punish them the way I have been, taking away privileges. That from now on I expect that I should be able to just tell them when they are doing something wrong and that they are old enough to make the changes themselves without my punishing them.

I told them that money is going to be tight. That I want to pay off some debts, that it will be harder to do extra things without mom chipping in. So, please turn off lights and other electronic devices when not in use, respect my bills. That I am going to be much more frugal with money... Kool Aid instead of juice and soda, more hamburger helper, more what ever is on sale or I have coupons for.

I am going to start changing a number of things around here.

Isaac tends to be picky about what he eats. I told him I will try to accommodate him a bit, but he will have to eat whatever I serve, and if he doesn't care for it, he will at least have to be respectful enough to pretend he isn't unhappy about it.

Changes...

I have a heck of a work load this year. I am teaching a different class every period. I will also have the enrichment class which is like a club, and so I will be creating six different lessons each day. And... two after school clubs. Robotics, and video production. A lot of work.

I miss Brenda. But, oh well. I won't miss all the drama she has brought to my life. It isn't going to be easy, being a single parent...

But, I'm on my way.

Anonymous said...

yes Will you are on your way and it sounds healthy and good. Exhausting yes, but you three can do it. I know you can. You are giving your boys a real gift by requiring more.

Gooooo Will!

Unknown said...

And off to an excellent start.

Lucy Stern said...

Will, setting "rules for the house" are always good. I hope the boys listen and learn. I wish you well this school year. Stay Strong.

Anonymous said...

Will - prayed for you often today - your first day back to work/school.
How did it go?

Curious Servant said...

Brenda and I met with Tim Hanlon of Clackamas County... Jeremiah will be eligible for group home funding after January 1st.

I'm a little apprehensive about it. Brenda seemed relieved.

I spoke with Brenda about our situation. She has started filling out the divorce papers. Says I need to help her with parts of it. We will do that on Wednesday.

It was a busy day. The next two days are packed with stuff.

Things seemed to work out here, though Brenda was here when I got home.

Our conversation was a little tense. She said she wished we could fix this mess, but that this mess would always be between us and we'd never get past it.

I got a little ticked at parts of the conversation, but, it will be alright.

I straightened up my classroom much of the day. The next two days are inservice days... training for various stuff.

I work with great people. Many stopped by to see how I'm doing as it was obvious I was having a rough time last year. Everyone remarked on how much weight I've lost.

I really don't like this mess, but as I wrote in this post, no one told me to expect life to be comfortable.

Barbara said...

Oh my goodness.

My first visit and I find you experiencing all this...

I will come back again and read more.

But I will pray..

and until I come back, may I leave you with this

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
May the rain fall soft upon your fields
And until we meet again
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

Jada's Gigi said...

There is no fairness or justice in this world but we were made for another world so we are continually bumping up against what is deep inside us...there is conflict...but that deep sense of beauty and joy...that is Christ within...the real you.

Marvin said...

Suffering is required for us to be able to learn. And for us to be grateful to return to God when we are finished here. ;-)