Sunday, February 22, 2009

What is in the Glass?

As their father practiced the audio/visual part of the worship team’s rehearsal, they were engrossed in books.

I felt a twinge of envy.

A lot of babies in the church lately. A lot of happy young couples. And couples in the evening of their lives, a long road together behind them.

I felt a twinge of envy.

I’ve heard pop science sources say we may exist in a multiverse where every possible decision creates alternate realities.

(Absurd. The universe is probably a multidimensional [12+], and perhaps more than one dimension of time, but thinking every decision of all people, everywhere, all the time creates other realities... makes choice meaningless.)

If there are more dimensions of time, then everywhen exists, including the future.

A things are happening, will happen, and have happened. We think of the past is exactly the way we should think of the future.

The choices we make create consequences in future slices of time.

Organic brains store new information in the direction of entropy, so we perceive the future as fluid... Doesn’t make it so.

We are more than our organic selves.

We are also minds and spirits.

The future is partially created by the choices I make.

Purify my heart
Let me be as gold and precious silver
Purify my heart
Let me be as gold, pure gold
Refiner's fire
My heart's one desire
Is to be holy
Set apart for You, Lord
I choose to be holy
Set apart for You, my Master
Ready to do Your will
Purify my heart
Cleanse me from within
And make me holy
Purify my heart
Cleanse me from my sin
Deep within

I choose.



Brenda was here the majority of the day yesterday.

I wanted her to spend real time with the boys, not sit in a darkened theater and then walking around stores.

She rented a couple of movies, made popcorn, and taught the boys to make a dish they haven’t had since she left.

I did my best to stay out of the way... did chores, ran errands.

Where I am in my life isn’t where I would have chosen to be... My choices put me here.

I look back on the big moments that shaped our relationship. When we met. Vacations. Adoptions, death. Disappointments and good times.

Those moments were born of choices we made.

Looking back at those choices...

My choices matter.

I can wish for things I don’t have, a faithful wife, gifted children who read for pleasure...

Wishing doesn’t matter.

Choices do.

I choose to be holy.

Not that I can be holy.

But I can set my heart on the path of making choices that sets my life apart for Him.

I can follow His lead, do His will. I choose to be His servant.

I choose to love, apart from wrongs of others. I can choose not to punish those who transgress. I can choose to lose the record of wrongs done. I can choose to give mercy, love, grace. I can choose to be mercy, love, grace.

Bitterness, anger, resentment, those are poisons I sometimes take, hoping they will hurt someone else.

They only hurt me.

The glass isn’t half empty.

The glass isn’t half full.

The glass is overflowing.

What we upset ourselves with is the blessings which flow out and away from us... we look at what we wanted, what has spilled across the table of our lives... Children who excel. Personal lives filled with perfection that is more imagining than any reality....

Though we see those things flowing away we wish were still in the glass, the glass is is still full.

That is enough.

4 comments:

Erin said...

"The glass isn’t half empty.
The glass isn’t half full.
The glass is overflowing."

Wise words. :)

Amrita said...

Glad Brenda spebnt time with the boys.

God bless

Gigi said...

I agree the wisdom here....

'overflowing'

Marvin said...

Babies in church? I like it when they're BEHIND glass, in the Screaming Room. That's my favorite, watching all those babies screaming their heads off, silently, while the parents holding them grimace.