Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Difference Between Science and Poetry

The lights are still out in the boys’ room, though I’ve been up walking the beach for hours.

A king size bed is pretty large for one person, and laying beside a pillow isn’t very satisfying.

A waning gibbous moon was gliding toward the western horizon as I walked the moist sand in wet shoes.


There is something calming about the sound of the waves, the steady slow beat of its crash ending in the drawn out whoosh of the sand drinking in the diminishing flow. It is like the heartbeat of the world... like, as a child, I heard my father’s heart beating his salty blood in his chest. Walking along the ocean’s edge I can hear the natural rhythm of the world’s pulse, beating to a greater heart.

I know the waves are caused by the accumulated push of breezes and winds over thousands of miles of water, and suddenly squeezed and concentrated from its dark depths to the slanted shore along this coast of North America.

But, as it is with most scientific explanations, there is something missing, a lack of whole truth in the explanation. Not that the explanation isn’t true. It is just incomplete.

Science loves precision, fine details of measurement, the inclusion of all variables, from the wind and moon to the way the way electrons tend to spend more “time” rounding the oxygen atom in a water molecule making them cling to each other,
and to sodium, and all the other carefully monitored and explained stuff floating in the sea.

But science’s precision avoids poetry. And there is often greater truth in poetry than is found in the periodic table.


The stars were out, the air was cool (38 F), a breeze was blowing, my hands were cold, my heart heavy.

Ever read any Walt Whitman? There is a poem of his that describes this disconnect between science and the truth found in beauty:

When I heard the learn'd astronomer;
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me;
When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and
measure them;
When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with much
applause in the lecture-room,
How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick;
Till rising and gliding out, I wander'd off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look'd up in perfect silence at the stars.


It is strange to be mourning my marriage when I know, deep in my heart, that it simply isn’t any good. It’s like loving something beautiful that has died... died, decayed, gone.

I loved that child I buried 15 years ago, but I would not enjoy seeing what his little body has become by now. The beauty in him is what is left in my heart and in what now resides in eternity.

I love my wife. But, being brutally honest with myself, we are no longer compatible. When we met we were smoking pot, drinking beer, partying quite a bit. She worked hard, I fumbled around with various harebrained attempts at earning a living. In the end I grew up. I went through six years of college, getting a master’s degree in education.

My taste in music expanded. I came to love not only the classic rock of my teen years, but learned to love jazz, bluegrass, motown, Indian (Shankar, etc.), folk, blues, and classical. I haven’t been able to get into hip hop or rap, which I’m told is accurately spelled starting with a silent “C”.

As I walked the beach this morning my iPod lent the spiritually choral strains of Arvo Part Te Deum as a sound track for my thoughts, watching the foam of the crashing waves catch the light of the moon, the rippling water sparkling with reflections of stars who’s light began streaming toward this sad soul thousands of years ago.

This is not music my wife enjoys.

She does not enjoy many things I do, or at least the way I do. Art, church, theology, science, our children, our marriage.

I have changed. So has she.

Though I would have loved to work hard to find each other, to find each other’s hearts, minds, spirits, she has moved on, finding someone else who is living a life closer to the one she prefers.

I look in the mirror, and I see an old guy I barely recognize. I haven’t cut my hair since August and its shagginess, the grey in my beard, the bags under my eyes, it must be someone else on the other side of that looking glass.


The cell phone just chirped. I snatched it up, hoping it was a message from her. It was only singing out to tell me that it had finished recharging (I’m still unused to it, as this is only the third day I have had it).

That is a good example of my heart. I sit here in this hotel room chair, tapping away at a keyboard, pondering the differences between my wife and I and how I know we really cannot find each other again, and even if we could, my trust in her is so shattered that even if we glued it all back together with care, counseling, and kindness, it would forever show the deep cracks and chips of our mistakes.

Yet, at the thought she might be contacting me makes this rebellious heart of mine to leap at the hope of hearing from her.

When we get home tomorrow there will be empty places where she had removed a piece of furniture, taken away a family photo, cleared out a shelf of books, removed clothing from the closet.

I’ll have to do something about those empty spots. Move stuff around, rehang pictures, shuffle furniture here and there, redistribute contents of cupboards.

I’m going to be OK. I really am. I know it. But my breath gasps in starts and stops, my heart races, and tears spring to my eyes.

She hasn’t the commitment to marriage, to adoption, that I have.

That is a truth. It is the sort of measured truth science could explain by listing in neat columns her actions, her views, her lies and betrayals.

But it doesn’t convey the destructive poetry I feel of watching this forest fire in my heart consume 28 years of looking at a forest I thought was very different from the one that was actually growing there.

Well, the sun has come up...


I’m going to go check on my boys now.

.........................


Addendum: Brenda is sending emails, sounding very apologetic. I've got mixed (very) feelings.

We went to the Oregon Coast Aquarium this afternoon. The boys liked it. Here are some pics...


Teeth!

Those stretched penny souvenirs

Shark!
Shark!

Seals

Why, I otter...

...stick my nose on the glass!



9 comments:

Amrita said...

28 years is a very long time. It will take to very long time to get used to it if you ever will.

my soul weeps for you.

Curious Servant said...

I just got this email:



Brenda Greenleaf
to me

10:03 am (12 minutes ago)
I am so sorry. I really wish I could go back and undo everything. I know that it is just too late now. I don't know if I can do this. I just don't know what to do anymore. I don't want to hurt any one any more. I just know that if I even did try to come back and really change I would always feel so awful and ashamed. I guess I will probably feel that anywhere, but I am just scared and trying to run away. I know that I have responsibilities to the kids and you no matter what I do and I want to continue to do those things. I am soo sooo sorry. I do love you but I just don't see how things could ever work out after the things I have already done. I am just bad I guess.

Love Brenda

--------------------------------

It makes me ache to hear the hurt in her voice. Am I crazy contemplating tryng to finnd a way back for her? for us? For the boys?...

For me?


Christ forgave...

He continues to forgive?

Am I letting my aching heart over ride my rational mind?

Damn! I hate this so much. a few doors down my children are crying for their mother.

Crap!

I would love to rescue her from herself... and maybe get a chance to beat the crap out of that integrity shriven cretin...


Folks... go ahead... tell me what you think. I do not trust my head or heart right now.

March 25, 2008 10:25 AM

Erin said...

I am praying that you hear from our Father... I don't trust my own heart to give advice.

(oooo)

Anonymous said...

If Brenda ever feels the need to communicate with another woman to help sort out her confusion, I would be willing. Does she have instant messaging?

In Christ,
Donna

Curious Servant said...

She has her AA counselor she confides in.

Amrita said...

My dear Will, I told you before that Brenda will not be happy when she leaves you and i was right it seems.When you told us that she has left something in my heart told me that she won 't be happy and would want to return but i did not mention this in my comment.

As far as I can acertain she is suffering from both psychological and spiritual problems and needs counselling in both areas. Spriritual oppression is also present.She is in need of careful and systematic counselling in all these areas. She needs mentoring by an older Christian woman someone with whom she can share all her feelings and be accountable to every day.

Curious Servant said...

Amrita... That sounds about right.

This may sound unforgiving, but I'm not sure I want her back.

There are some serious problems here, and they hurt me and my children.

It isn't just about anger, jealousy, and the sense of betrayel.

It is also about her choices. If she cannot accept me as a husband, then how would I be able to help her anyway?

I know, I seem to be swinging from wanting to forgive to wanting to reject.

That is how my days are going. I move from hurting deeply to being angry to being numb, to simply enjoying time with my kids.

Can she be true? Can she be healed?

At the moment I'm ticked and tired. Earlier I was forgiving and wanting to rescue her. Walking the beach before dawn I was hurt and angry.

I have no clue what I am going to do. I have no clue what I should do.

So... I think I will try my best to go slowly here. If she wants to come back, then I want her to prove her fidelity first.

I'm not looking to make her grovel, to humiliate. But, this is not a situation I can go through again. If she returns, then it is quite possible it would recur.

What shall I do?

I don't know.

What will I do?

Pray.

Ame said...

Trust and forgiveness are two totally separate things.

Forgiveness is a gift.

Trust must be earned.

***

I understand where you are. It sucks. I am so sorry.

***

btw - I LOVE aquariums ... hate zoo's ... but love aquariums ... love the pic in the teeth!

Gigi said...

Like Erin praying for you, for her, to hear HIM and in the hearing respond.