Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Fretting

I left a cryptic remark at the end of my last post, and I should explain it.

I haven’t much proof that my wife is breaking her promise to not contact this other man. I’m reluctant to push too hard because things are so fragile in our home and these are matters that will affect me, her, and my children a great deal for a very long time.

Sunday afternoon I went online and checked the local calls made on our phone. All the way back to July. I put them on a spreadsheet. Grouped them by numbers and bold faced the ones to where she used to work and his cell phone. Sorted them by date. Looked over the pattern of the calls.

The calls to his cell continued for a few months and stopped. So did the calls to where he worked. Until a couple of weeks ago.

Those few calls were brief, one or two minutes. Not enough time for a conversation, maybe voice mail.

I got a little ticked.

I kept my mouth shut.

Except on this blog. I added a little postscript at the bottom of the post I had written and fretted.

Now a couple of days have passed. What do I know? Not much.

That’s my current point.

Freaking out, confrontations, or cloak and dagger spying won’t change the reality of whatever the reality is.

Perhaps she has broken her word and is talking to him. Perhaps she was calling old coworkers looking for leads on her current job search.

If this is bad, then it will reveal itself. If it isn’t, well, that too will eventually show.

As this whole mess plays out I am increasingly unsure if I can return to a place in my heart where there is trust for her. That too is something I will one day learn. Another piece of the journey of self-discovery.

So... meanwhile... what do I do?

I try to control my heart, my mind, and especially my actions.

She is messed up.

So am I.

Perhaps I can help her heal, but not by making her heel.

I cannot control her and I don’t want to.

She is messed up.

So are we all.

Perhaps we can heal, but only through His grace.

I can be patient, at least long enough for this new counselor to make an attempt to show us a common ground for our marriage.

I just keep thinking that I am as sinful as any other person, as unworthy of forgiveness and grace as all of humanity.

In remembering that I am a fallen being, an immortal soul traveling in flawed mortal flesh.

So that’s what’s going on. As I wonder, and as I try to avoid wondering, I remember this passage:

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."
John 8:6-8

And that’s all I have to say about this today.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you choose to stay, will. you are choosing to trust or [not trust] but why, dear heart, why torture yourself with the continual investigative work with spreadsheets and the like?

what is that doing for you, doing to you?

you may delete this if you wish, but as your friend, this type of madness should cease. maybe it is just me, but there has to come a time when you let go and let God take over, completely. let Him do the work He needs to on her, you are simply re-excoriating a still-opened wound by doing this and if you ever want to heal -- and i believe you do -- you cannot if you continue to do this type of legwork.

you know she has wreckage in her past. if she is doing the work to be well, living in 24 hours at a time, what more can she do? i know you are fragile, will. we are all bent, broken and all have our wounds. it grieves me to read, time and again, how you continuously reopen them on yourself and pour on the salt.

i wish i could help you, i really do. just remember you have today. just today. can't do anything about yesterday and tomorrow is not a given.

love you, praying for you.
p

Amrita said...

perhaps my response is not very encouraging or spiritual, but I would feel the same as you and resent it and be extremely angry and show it too.At least you are beung so kind so patient.

I find it hard to forgive my younger BIL because he played a dirty game with my sis...the creep...sorry.

will just hold on to Jesus, He will help you move on, B needs intensive prayers and counselling. Tell all this to your counsellor.
Oh will I 've not been very helpful. All this makes me so angry. Satan is after our homes.

Unknown said...

"Mama always said you've got to put the past behind you before you can move on."

F.G.

Curious Servant said...

And Poomba (Lion King) said "Pu tyour past in your behind!"

Unknown said...

Hakuna Matata!

Anonymous said...

Will, I've learned a little about your blog and you - you have a group of friends here who would drop everything for you, lift you up in prayer without you even asking, respond without criticism, listen, hear your heart, share their humor in your pain...

you are one very loved, respected and lucky person!!!

This is priceless!

Curious Servant said...

That was a great comment!!!!

Thank you!

I do feel loved, prayed for.

I have needed it.

jollybeggar said...

shalom