Friday, March 28, 2008

Right and Wrong

I think folks have an innate sense of right and wrong. I believe it is a gift from God, and that for most of us most of the time it is easy to know what is fair, what is right good and just and kind and loving.

But...

I am having a lot of trouble on this one.

My wife has left, though she has made small overtures toward reconciliation. My children are hurting. I am hurting.

And I am exhausted.

I am torn between staying true to my wedding vows and in admitting that there isn’t any hope in repairing them. I am torn between what scripture says about forgiveness and love, and protecting my children, my home, and myself. I am torn between helping my wife get healthy and whole, and letting her make her own choices, using the free will God gave her.

Last night we had another Moon Howlin’. I had a bratwurst on a stick hovering over the coals while four buddies and I talked about anything and nothing. And of course, important things.


Yesterday was a strange day. Brenda came over in the morning. We went and walked the cemetery and talked.

She was apologetic, saying she was sorry, that she wished she hadn’t done what she had done, that she would fix it if she could, but she can’t.

I asked her several times if she would really wants to. She was evasive, but finally asked what I was thinking.

I told her I felt she had three areas of her life that were really messed up. That she needed to get help with them.

She needs to work her AA steps and get a grip on her alcohol dependency. She has a sponsor to help her, and she should listen to her, work those steps.

She needs psychological help. She is so angry, so hurt, so confused, so self-destructive. She needs counseling and to work through those internal demons and find a way to heal her heart and mind. She has been hurt for years and she in needs a psychological counselor to help her work those steps.

She needs spiritual help. A marriage should have two people pulling in the same direction. She feels God is cruel, callous, uncaring, and vindictive. I have been growing in one direction spiritually and she in another. She needs someone who can come alongside her and show her how God is loving, kind. That the hurts of the world do not come from Him, but from the evil choices people make.

I also told her she is too proud. She doesn’t put herself under authority easily, and that is why it is hard for her to take such steps.

She and I have experienced hard things together. But sharing experiences does not mean we feel the same way about them.

For her, Willy’s death was a bad thing. A terrible thing. But it happened and it is over. For me, I cannot think back to it and not feel guilt and great sorrow. For me that event was a watershed event which pours through all the years which followed.

For me, the church fire was a bad thing. A terrible thing. But it happened and it is over. For her, she cannot get away from that event and sees the presence of Jeremiah in our home as a constant reminder of the problems he represents, the burden he will always be for her, a watershed event which continues to pour through all the years which follow.

We experience such things very differently and now we are so far apart.

As for our marriage, it is over if she stays with him. Flat over. I told her she needs to find some other place to live, a neutral place. Her AA sponsor has offered her a place.

At the counseling session yesterday the counselor asked her what she was doing there if she was seeing this other man. What did she want?

Brenda suddenly became very angry and said she didn’t know and left.

The counselor turned to me. I sat there, a little stunned. She told me I had to leave as well. If I stayed Brenda would not feel the counselor was impartial.

Brenda was surprised to see me coming out into the parking lot.

“What are you doing out here?”

“She kicked me out.”

I explained why.

"I hate that woman."

"I don't know why. She isn't taking sides and is just asking whatt we want out of counseling. I was surprised when you left.

"I thought you would have told her we were there to learn to better communicate, or get a little help in working through this mess..."

We went back in together.

Bottom line, she said she would move out from John’s by Saturday. She needed to get someone to help her move the furniture she has over there and she didn’t want to ask him to do it.

At first, that sounded to me like she was taking the right step. She is going to move to a neutral place, and promising to stop seeing him.

But...

She is giving herself two more days there.

That isn’t an indication she is serious. If she were, she would have spent the night somewhere else.

Maybe I am tired. I only had four hours sleep again last night, typical of the past week, and those hours were filled with nightmares.

I think I have to divorce her.

Gazing into those coals of that fire last night things seem simple. A fire is like that. An elemental part of the world.


But in gazing at my life right and wrong doesn’t seem to be always so clear.

5 comments:

Vicki said...

Hey Will. I haven't been here for awhile but the Lord kept bringing you to mind to pray. Have been using a different computer which didn't hold all my same bookmarks, but that's no excuse--anyway, today I found your blog again.

I'm so sorry for all you've endured these many months now. I have some catching up to do here, and will do that before saying much. One thing that struck me (that many won't agree with) is that a person can't remain married to someone who leaves and won't take their vows seriously--even if they ARE sick, unhealthy, confused. From what I understand, you've been trying to reconciliate and help in Brenda's healing all along. You've tried to keep the marriage intact. It is not a failure to let her go. In some cases, it is an act of grace....choosing to trust Jesus enough to let someone go so that both the other person, and yourself, can find Jesus to be all you need for life, healing, and restoration. The question becomes: Do I trust you, Lord, with my life so much that even if I stop trying to keep my marriage together, I can trust you with the outcome (even if that means divorce)? Trying to hold onto something that is dead is not a virtue. Either Jesus resurrects your marriage or He doesn't. I only mean this in reference to someone who has made every attempt to love, forgive, and reconciliate. And you seem to have done this.

Now I've done what I didn't mean to do - make a comment without catching up on your posts. Suffice it to say the Lord will lead you. It is not for me or anyone else to say. Praying for you, Will. Hang in there.

Vicki

Gigi said...

praying

Curious Servant said...

She is coming over within the hour...

It is clear to me that she has not taken my offers seriously, that she does not want to do the hard work to save our marriage.

So, I changed the locks this morning.

I sent her a text message that she must call befoore cominng over.

I am going to put my home, my children first. Our marriage, second.

I have been putting our marriage first, but, I need to see that she wants to do the same.

Anonymous said...

Get your own self healthy again Will - you and the kids. I think as Believers we feel it's totally wrong to talk about not saving a marriage.
It's unhealthy and lethal as it has been. Time to stop that cycle.
You're doing good Will and youdo have a great circle of prayer around you - AND Brenda too.

Amrita said...

What you said to Brenda was right.She just can 't have you on a rooller coaster she is riding.