Saturday, March 22, 2008

Easter

Tomorrow is Easter Sunday. The high point of the Christian calendar. The day we celebrate life over death, grace over sin, immortality over decay and corruption.

This is the time of new beginnings, new hope.

We’ve had a very large tree in our yard all the years we have lived here. It was forked at the bottom, splitting into two trunks that were each over two feet wide. I understand it’s the type of tree from which Solomon built the first temple, often called a cedar of Lebanon, though it isn’t like any sort of cedar we know of in the northwest. Its wood is stronger, denser. It was, to me, just some sort of pine tree.

One of the trunks was growing over our house. Its angle and size showed it would someday prove a danger to our home. We knew it would have to come down.

My brother knows a guy who handles large trees, and taking down this one was a very small job for him. It was his company which removed a large portion of that grove of trees where the owl at the cemetery lived, the one who has been gone for months now. I think “Joe the Tree Guy” agreed to do it for $700 more as a favor to my brother than anything else. He said we can take as long as we want to pay him. The deal was he would chip and haul off the small branches, cut the remainder into firewood length, and leave it for us to clean up.

Pretty good deal. A friend and I rented a hydraulic splitter to handle all that wood. We were surprised how five hours of hard steady work by two adults and two teens (and Brenda and Jeremiah pitching in for the final hour and a half) weren’t enough to get it all split. I finished it up over the next week by hand with wedges and a maul.

It generated about two and a half cords of wood for our wood stoves.

My friend took a pickup truck full. We stacked the rest in the backyard.

The front yard looks, feels, naked without that tree. I’m sorry to cut down anything so beautiful. But it threatened our home, it had to come down.

A couple of weeks ago I planted a peach tree between that stump in the yard and the street. It is located where it will get plenty of light, have enough room from the driveway, and grow back into some sort of privacy barrier again.

It has already begun to bud flowers.

That’s one of the great things about living in the Willamette Valley here in Oregon. Spring hits with a vigorous verdant explosion. The daffodils and tulips spring up, the grass grows a dark green so quickly it seems you can almost see it moving.

There’s no school on Monday as it is the beginning of Spring Break. It seems appropriate for Spring Break to start (this year anyway) the day after Easter.

I’m taking the boys to the coast for a couple of days, using some sort of hotel credit card points we have accumulated over the past few years.

While we are gone Brenda will be moving her stuff out of our home and into her boyfriend’s house.

I have taken my wedding ring off my left hand and placed it on my right.

I spent some time in the Prayer Room this morning. I wrote tiny letters of praise and scripture and pleas for help in the shirt the carpenter is wearing in the image I’m sketching on the wall.

I’ve shed a few tears, but I feel a sense of relief that things are moving on.

I told Brenda that I will still be taking her mother to church on Sundays. She loves the sense of community she gets from attending our church, and even though we are divorcing, she is still the grandmother to my children and I do not wish to take that from her.

My mother wrote me a letter, and followed it up with a phone call last night. She is a gifted artist in Southern California. She has had a vision for a new painting, a man running a race, crowds on either side. He has my face.

She says she does not know what has been going on (I haven’t told her) but she says she senses I have been going through trials these past few months.

The pine tree is gone, given its life over to warm us in coming winters. The peach tree has been planted, and already promising fruit, though it only stands three feet tall.

My heart aches. But it is Spring, a time for new beginnings.

It is Easter.

He is risen.

15 comments:

Curious Servant said...

A friend gave me this verse today:

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express."

Romans 8:26

Curious Servant said...

She's gone.

Unknown said...

I just can't find the words right now. So I will simply say, I love you my brother, my friend.

Anonymous said...

I feel total grief about all of this and at the same time a sense of anticipation for what will happen next.

Anonymous said...

In the Desert of the Real, I squat by the pool at the oasis, far from my home camp. I stare into the swirling waters, and I see your hand, bare of its symbol of bonding with another for a lifetime.

If you concentrate, my friend, you will feel the very slight warm splash, as a tear makes its way down my cheek, splashes into the pool, right where that ring used to be.

True, true indeed, the Lord is risen. The hope in Him is all that can be offered....and all that is needed. I am blind to that sometimes, as are we all.

But we have hope in Him that lasts beyond all broken human dreams. It would be hell otherwise.

Comfort and love your boys.

Last night at Good Friday service, I heard the pastor say that because God turned His Face from His Son in the darkest hour, thereby validating and proving that only faith will move past seeming darkness, it now means that that beloved Face will never turn away from you.

Look up and see Him, my friend, when you can. Look up! He is there, right beside you! And never will He leave or forsake you. No matter what we do down here.

Amrita said...

will pray for you

Curious Servant said...

It's Easter Sunday. This is the day that marks our Lord's rising from death.

Yesterday was Holy Saturday, the only 24 hour period in which His body lay in a tomb, dead.

It was that day of death that was the death of my mariage, though, perhaps, it has been dead for some time now.

In a moment I wake my children to a new life where they haven't a mother's care, an echo of their loss of parents so many years ago when they were orphaned in Haiti.

It's a new life.

It's a little scary.

But it is Easter Sunday, the beginning of new things. Just as that little fruit tree is promising new fruit, though it is still too small to do much.

I'm going to go take a shower, awaken my children and feed them, and begin this new chapter in my life.

This blog is entitled "The Journey of the Curious Servant". I now begin the journey of a single parent.

...................................

Heavenly Father, thank you for this day. I pray Lord that You help me to keep my heart tender, allow no bitterness or anger to rule there. Bless Brenda today, bless her in her new life. Bless my children, help them through their grief of losing another parent. Bless Mary, my Mother in Law, that she makes this adjustment and sees thatshe is still a part of this home though her daughter is no longer the bridge between her and us. Bless me Lord. Help me to what is best for my children. Make this day Lord, a new beginning for me, for us, that will please You, draw us nearer to you. I pray thiws in the name of Your son, Jesus, who conquereed death, and with whom I can do all things.
Amen.


..................................


Time to get my children up.

Anonymous said...

and blessings on you

Jada's Gigi said...

New life...that's what Resurection Day is...my heart aches for your family my brother...prayers are with you to as you all move forward into this new life

Unknown said...

42:12 The LORD blessed the latter part of Job's life more than the first.

Will,

I celebrate this special, difficult day with you in my heart, mind and spirit.
A candle burns today on our mantle for you, for Him, for all of us.

Ame said...

I lost my comment ... I will be back ... my children are screaming! Need to run interference!

Curious Servant said...

I appreciate all your comments and prayers right now.

I feel like writing, and I feel like sleeping, and I feel like... I don't know.

I''ll come back here often to just cjheck comments if not to leave more posts.

I am hurting pretty bad right now.

I haven't kissed another woman in over a quarter of a century. I don't know how to do this single thing anymore.

My kids, especially Isaac, are in dreadful pain.

Curious Servant said...

Just got up... I'm taking the kids to the coast today. Brenda and her boyfriend will be over today, tomorrow, and probably Wednesday morning to walk the dog and move out her stuff.

Isaac is taking this very hard.

I guess I am too.

I had a fitful night's sleep last night, but that's nothing new, been happening for seven months now.

If the hootel hhas wifi or there's a coffee shop with it nearby, I'll be posting and checking often.

This little group of folks who come here, read, visit, comment, is important to me.

Yesterday was hard. The worship songs really hit sore spots... like this phrase:


"Trade these ashes in for beauty
And wear forgiveness like a crown
Coming to kiss the feet of mercy
I lay every burden down
At the foot of the cross"

I want to trade these ashes.

I wish there was some way to bring her back, help her find her way, give their mother back to my children... but, even if she wanted to, even if she begged to (which isn't at all likely), I can't trust her. That would not be a marriage.

I love her. I miss her. I resent her.

I'm washes some clothes now while the boys are still aasleep, and I'll take the dog forr a walk.

Later folks...

Chris Krycho said...

Oh, God, Will... I am praying for you. I am praying for peace; I am praying for comfort; I am praying for strength... I am praying for you to know that you have done all that you could and that you have honored God immensely as you have fought for your wife, for your marriage, for your children.

You are not alone. I have no idea how to empathize with you, but I (and many, many others) are standing alongside you in this time, and for the days ahead. Keep walking, for God is with you.

Curious Servant said...

I'm checked in at the hotel at the coast. We had booked this some time ago. The boys are in a room with two beds, and I'm in alone room with a king sized bed.

Meanwhile, she's at our house, getting her stuff.

I know I'll be OK, but this just really, really...