Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Just a Bag of Meat

It is Wednesday morn and I stepped in to the boys’ room to see if they were ready to get up. They weren’t of course, but I needed to at least let them know I was up, that I had showered, and that we would be taking off in a couple of hours.

I’ve been up early again. Long before the sun rose I walked along the beach and managed to keep my feet dry this time.

I haven’t taken any Xanax to calm my nerves, just listened to that Estonian choral music I mentioned the other day.

I suspect that Brenda has not moved out her stuff like we had planned. Oh I’m sure she came by and picked up some clothes, a few small items, but I just feel it, that she has avoided taking real steps to complete the separation her actions started. Just as she has been trying to straddle the fence all along, she has not made the commitment to move out that her actions dictate she should.

I suppose she is keeping her options open.

After all, I have been forgiving and accommodating, and have sought to help her at my own expense for so long, why would she think that I need her to get out?

This isn’t only about her infidelity. Or about her attitude towards our children. There are many things that her actions shout out telling me, telling the world, that she is one very mixed up, hurting, damaged human being.

Her attitude toward God, the view that He is cruel or capricious, or at the very least, uncaring, is an obstacle in our marriage as well. We are in such different places in our faith that it isn’t easy for me to hear what she thinks or feels, and my actions which show how much my faith means to me must certainly create tension in her.

There is a large part of me that wants to rescue her. After all, I love her, I want her happy.

It was pretty chilly last night. Unusual weather for this time of year. With the wind chill it was barely above freezing. I heard the snow level was down to 500 feet.

Still, I walked the beach in the dark, praying and thinking.

When we return the difficult situation will be in our laps again. I wish I could help her, set things right, but she must want this marriage if it is to work. It doesn’t matter how I feel about it, if she does not want this, then it cannot be.

I’ve often thought there are some things about my beliefs, my faith, that are rather odd. I’m inherently a selfish being. I am born into this world expecting, demanding, all my needs be met, and I slowly, ever so slowly, learn to mature away from that paradigm to where love, altruism, caring, giving, become more important. My faith helps me along that path, but I know that by the time I reach the end of my days I will have grown very little in the larger scheme of things, the eternal view of things.

That is what is so strange about my faith.

I’m not sure what the afterlife will be like, but it seems to me that I will stumble into a realm of love and caring and joy and I will be amazed, mystified at how different that reality will be.

I will be with beings that have existed before there was time, older than the 14 billion years that have passed since the creation. I picture those august beings moving gently about, giants who take care that their robes of power and grace do not crush me as they pass towering by. I picture these mighty beings rumbling and singing something akin to the choral melodies of Arvo Part, Te Deum, and bowing low, almost to a level where I can perceive their faces of shining love revealing a glimpse of thoughts they have mulled over eons, in honor of the glowing center of all things, a trinity of beings. A trinity that in its existence demonstrates the central reality of love, grace, forgiveness, and sacrifice.

I imagine I will find comfort seeking out those who also managed to enter a side gate of that sacred place, a gate so small a camel would have to crawl to pass through, just as I will do. I will see my loved ones, my grandmother, my child, friends and spiritual celebrities, all sliding in that side gate, paying a borrowed bribe to be let in. And that would have been barred from us if the bribe wasn’t the blood which flowed from one of that trinity, that central glow of love and grace.

I suppose it would feel strange to know that I had lived less than a century, yet I could move about that great place, among those august presences.

Why should I be there?

There are a few basic rules God has given us to guide us in proper behavior, for creatures which have souls, though they ignore the implications. I have failed so many of those rules. I have envied. I have lusted, and stolen, and lied. I have made my desires more important than those of my Creator.

Yet, He has done all He could to allow me the chance to accept that payment, that bribe that permits the magistrates, the gate keepers of the side gate, to overlook the list of my crimes and let me in.

Why did He do that?

I am nearly an animal. I live upon the lives of other living things, plants, animals, the very minerals of earth, air, and sea, and despite this heritage of corporeal life I am welcome to eternity.

Why did He do that?

I am a strange mixture of base animal needs and desires, sprinkled with a longing for things of the spirit, testimony that I’ve a soul in addition to the mind that can plan things good and things evil.

Brenda just called. She is sounding... hurt, scared, sad... sorry. She says she will be at the house when we return. I think she wants to come back.

Hmmmm...

I notice I just wrote “house” not “home”. I have read that the word “home” is an English word that doesn’t have identical counterparts, the same conotations, in other languages. Home is more than a place to live. It is the center of our lives, of comfort. Home can also mean larger things, the town where we grew up, the nation we come from if we are abroad. The fact I wrote “house” rather than “home” is an indication of my feelings right now. When a home loses its heart, it becomes just a house.

Perhaps that is what is so wonderful about Heaven. We sense that it is home like no other place in this world can ever be. That it is literally the center, and that our souls instinctively know that when we slip in through that side gate, and Saint Peter (an amusing mythical concept) looks over the description of our lives, sacrificial blood will have blotted out our deeds, our weaknesses, our failings.

The reason for all those transgressions we do while our souls animate these blobs of flesh is because we are self-centered.

The hurts my wife has given me is because of her placement of her self above all other things. A little pleasure. A little escape from responsibility. A little sense of freedom, and the nasty streak of decay that she has tracked across our lives creates a stench that nearly overwhelms me and my children.

Much like the filthy stains of sinful slime every human being has left trailing through their lives sins Eve said “You know, I think I do want that.”

It must seem strange for those august beings to find themselves surrounded by infant spirits, just beginning to see a greater realm, a greater truth.

I suspect that is what was behind Satan’s anger, envy, pride. I suspect he simply believes we should never be allowed through the gate. He didn’t want to share those shining halls with the smelly, ephemeral creatures which sprung from soil and consuming other things so they may sweat, and grunt and defecate and reproduce and then sing alongside majesty to the same center that he had been created for.

But the Boss, the Creator, the Living Word is the ultimate authority, and He knew that if He paid the price with His perfection, that the Spirit would shower us with a cleansing baptism that would permit us to walk through that gate without trailing the muck from the swamp we had passed through.

I think it is too easy for us to believe that we somehow deserve that. After all, He has been forgiving and accommodating, and has sought to help us at His own expense for so long, why wouldn't such self-centered creatures as ourselves expect He won't let us come home?

Brenda thinks He has been cruel, making her barren, giving and taking a child, providing two children for adoption who ultimately demonstrate they will be something like children all of their lives.

She doesn't see that the majority of the hurts in our lives, in all the world's lives, flows from the freedom to do what we wish, our free will.

Despite the constant rejection of the love and sacrifice He repeatedly offers to us, we choose to run to the things which ultimately hurt us and those around us.

The hurts we create are because of we place of ourselves above all other things. A little pleasure. A little escape from responsibility. A little sense of freedom, and the nasty streak of decay we track across our lives creates a stench that nearly overwhelms the promise of true freedom, to true love, to home.

In a few hours I will be having a conversation with my wife. I believe she is seeking a path out of her mistakes, a way around the consequences of her sins of self-centeredness.

I’m not sure what I can, or should, do.

It is good to have the example of my Lord, but I am still a walking bag of meat that has as its initial motivation a sense of self preservation.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

healthy caution and discernment is needed. May God give you that clearly.

Gigi said...

and my actions which show how much my faith means to me must certainly create tension in her.

your faith I would imagine pisses her off and intrigues her at the same time....again just praying for you both to HEAR and respond to Him...His movements...His love.

Curious Servant said...

Well, we're home.

Brenda was here, waiting.

She and I went somewhere else, away from the boys, and had a long talk.

She is feeling pretty low, unsure what to do. She hinted that she'd like to come back, but I told her that there was a lot of things that needed fixing first.

Basically I told her that she needed substance abuse help, pschylogical and spiritual guidance, and ownership over her actions and their consequences.

Additionally, if we were to repair our marriage, trust would have to be rebuilt, and that would be very difficult to do. The first step would be for her to get to a place where she couldn't imagine herself being unfaithful. The next step would be getting me to a place where I could see that was true of her.

I told her that she would have to first demonstrate that she was not jumping from one bed to another and that she would have to find some other place to live. Away from John. That I would have to see that she truly did not want to even drive through the town he lives in.

Her AA sponsor has offered her a place.

I told her that we would also have to be truly interested in each other, to want to grow together, to be with each other. That will take time.

I said that I would not be putting my wedding ring on again until I was convinced that it was forever, and that is a long ways from where we are.

So, she has moved her stuff out of here, I guess that was Monday, and she is going back to him to at least talk. I said that if she spent the night there, well, that would be a good indication of how serious she is about fixing this mess.

She is concerned about what people think of her. I told her that when she was doing wrong she didn't care. She should not care what people think if she is trying to do what is right.

I also said that I know that I have a lot of faults and things I need to work on. That counseling was where a lot of that should happen. But, if she wants to go out, with me or the boys, give me a call annd we can get together.

I'm not writing her off, but I am not welcoming her back either.

So... how's that for an update?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the moment.
Live in it and wait for God, His answers are coming.
I wince in sympathy. This is a long labor to bring to birth that which God would have you nurture.

Unknown said...

Good on you.

Why is the "right" path always the hardest?

J.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amrita said...

Her attitude toward God, the view that He is cruel or capricious, or at the very least, uncaring, is an obstacle in our marriage as well


Actually she is being cruel, capricious, uncaring and an obstacle in your marriage.Don 't let her play ping pong with your emotions and marriage and the boys.Like I told you in my email, lay down the condotions for her.

God be with you Will. I am thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Good comment Amrita!

Anonymous said...

hi will. i've read a couple of your posts and i figured brenda left already. will, i am not an expert on marriage because mine is also a troubled one. i have to say that because honestly, we're not okay. my husband is an absentee so to speak. but one thing for sure is that i know i'm doing what God is telling me to. will, i think the reason why even when you think your marriage is over and brenda has already left but you two still can't seem to totally let go of each other is because of the covenant you have with each other and with God. your marriage is pulling you back together (at least that's the way i see it). even if you think getting a divorce is the answer, you will have a hole in your heart that only brenda can fill (and vice versa) because of your marriage covenant. remember, God sealed it.

i'd still say that prayers can move mountains and our faith can move God. if you're not too busy, please go and check what i have written in my blog. i talked about marriage for the first time openly hinting everyone that i'm also having marriage problems. i was too scared to admit it before to everyone and only a chosen few knew.

i hope to see you there and please tell me how you think about what i've written. your opinion matters to me and it matters to God.

i am praying for you, my friend.