Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Changes

Brenda wanted to go with me to take Isaac to the prom Saturday night. It started at 8:00, went to 11:00, and we got there a little over an hour early so we could eat.

Since the restaurant at the prom had meals averaging around the $35 range we decided to eat elsewhere. We found a place that served pizza during the day and liquor after 9:00.

Isaac was so sweet. He gave the homeless woman out front two slices of pizza and a couple of bucks.

Brenda has been asking me if she might come back... She is trying to stay sober (it had only been 48 since her last drink) and wanted to go to an AA meeting.

So I went to my first AA meeting. It was called “Scully’s,” in a converted living room of a very old, tiny house in Southeast portland. There were about 20 people there, nearly all of them smoking cigarettes, and three smoking cigars. Brenda and I got coffee, found a seat near the front window, and just as the meeting started a large black man with Tourrette’s sat beside Brenda. It was an interesting evening.

Brenda and I had a fairly good evening, though she complained about having to take Isaac to the prom. Most kids his age are able to get themselves around.

Still... things went pretty well, and Brenda kept hinting that she wanted to work things out between us. She had moved back to her AA sponsor’s, and wanted to come back home.

Sunday morning was hectic. Get the boys fed, get everyone ready for church, pick up my mother in law and get to the church in time to pray with the pastors a half hour before church began.

I invited Mary, my M-I-L, over for lunch, but she declined. When we got home from dropping her off Brenda was still there.

Again she hinted at wanting to work things out, but...

She left to go to the post office and then to her sponsor’s house.

The phone rang a few minutes later.

“Will! It’s me! I’ve been a in a really bad wreck!”

“Are you OK? Are you hurt?!”

“No, I’m fine. I’m at Douglas and third.”

“I’ll be right there!”

I switched off the oven that was warming up lunch. Raced to the van, maneuvered through town as quickly as possible, getting there before the police.







We emptied the contents of the car into the van. I scraped my hand getting the after market stereo out (I wouldn't make a very good thief, I had to break the surrounding dashboard to get at it).

She kept worrying about getting to and from her sponsor's house without a car (we only had liability insurance, with a $25,000 cap).

"First things, first," I told her. "Let's get through this and we'll figure it all out."

She broke down.

She said she was so sorry.

She said that the accident was a wake up call.

She asked me to let her come back.

We went home.

I called some friends.

Two women from our church came over, spent over two hours.

We talked.

And Brenda seemed to finally break down.

She gave up.

"I want to be your wife," she said.

"I want to be your husband," said I.

So... she's back.

I have no idea if this will really work.

"...forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us..."

When I say The Lord's Prayer I mean it. I am asking God to cut me some slack, not to hold things against me, just as much as I am willing not to hold things against others.

I know, this is insane. I haven't any reason to believe it will work.

But, I believe I must give her the chance if she asks.

I'm no saint. I'm not anyone special.

But, I feel I have to do this as long as it does not hurt my kids.

To be frank, I'm feeling awkward, embarrassed, more uncertain than ever.

So many folks have been reading this blog, praying for me, praying for us. I wonder if they will think I'm a spineless wimp tumbling in whichever direction the wind blows. I think some may feel I am doing the right thing, and they will try to make me feel better about this.

I don't want anything but to do the right thing. And that's the rub. I am no longer sure what is the right thing.

...Forgive me my sins as I...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad she' wasn't seriously hurt, or anyone else for that matter!

All the best to you as you attempt to work through the roubles in your relationship.

Anonymous said...

Will, you are NOT a spineless wimp. Those two ladies with you and Brenda said to give her the chance. Those two ladies who had previously said don't take her back. I/we witnessed the first glimmer of spiritual hope in B that late afternoon. Also the first real initiative for B to quit holding on to the bitter past. and those same two ladies who will hold B accountable as well as you. Those same two ladies who looked in her eyes and told her neither she nor you could go through another affair. She agreed...
There is some real hope here...really!!!!!!!
how's that : )

Curious Servant said...

Thanks.

I appreciate those two ladies!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a comment either way. I can't make you feel better, can't offer any insight.

But I'm right there with you....

Gigi said...

Ain't nuthin wimpy about you Will.....You're just following him as any broken one among us tries to....He's gotcha.....LIC becky

Anonymous said...

The right thing is to give you and Brenda a time to heal. The right thing is to let Brenda back into your life. The right thing is to remove your doubts and to rejoice in this small, but significant turn-around.
The right thing is to TRUST God.
The right thing is to TRY to have a postive attitude. Negativity breeds negativity. You don't want that.
RS

Unknown said...

Sorry I've been absent. Tell you later.

I'm glad everyone is okay. Could have been a devastating situation.

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks.

You have to do what's right...for YOU.

Coco said...

Don't worry about what anyone else thinks... Do what ever you think is best for you, and your family. Continue to embrace God's guidance.

Blessings.

ps
glad that no one got seriously hurt with the accident.

Kendall said...

Long time lurker here. Just had to jump in and comment though. I think what you are doing is brave and admirable. I have been thinking about you lately (that sounds a little creepy coming from a stranger, I know) and what I would do in your situation. I have no clue. It's hard to navigate through loving people the way God says/shows us to and taking care of your kids and yourself. I think you have done an amazing job with your situation. I will definitely be praying for you both, for your marriage, and for your sweet boys. I really have hope that your marriage can be healed and you can get through this. And thank God no one was hurt in the accident.

You are a good man.

Curious Servant said...

Thanks all. I don't feel like a good man.

I feel trapped. I feel sad. I feel that I have lost my wife's love and that this whole mess is just her trying to absolve her guilt. It may be that it is the beginning of change, but... I don't know.

I want to do what is right.

In this situation none of the choices are going to make me feel better. Last night she was sad. I could tell she was missing... him. Crap.

And I am embarrassed. When I removed my wedding ring I tried to keep my left hand hidden so not to advertise it. now I wear it again and I still hide my hand... for I feel this awkwardness about the relationship that a ring seems to proclaim more than is there.

I know I need prayers.

I also need for my wife and I to find each other, reawaken our passions, reawaken our interests.

I would be able to slug through life with just being a single parent.

Instead there is this complex mess... this daily confusion and ache.

I want this to stop being a melodrama.

There was good news yesterday. Someone gave Brenda a car, well sold it to her for $2, and she was so happy she was crying.

But by the time we went to bed, she was brooding again.

Ah, Lord...

Aphra said...

It was nice of someone to give her a car :)

It is often hard to tell what the right thing is, isn't it?
I feel like we see through a glass darkly and sometimes it is very dark indeed. Thank God we have Him as a light even if it sometimes seems like a small one.

Amrita said...

Praise God nothing serious happened to Brenda. You are not a wimp at all.