Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Goodbye

It isn’t any big surprise.

I knew it would be this way.

We had a meeting with the immigration attorney, preparations our April 15th interview with the INS folks in our attempt to get Jeremiah his U.S. permanent residence. It is a sticky mess, and there aren’t any certainties about getting him a “green card” and then, perhaps, citizenship five or six years later.

I drove. I patted Brenda on the knee as part of our “light” conversation.

I know her so well. Her reaction, or lack of it. The way she avoids looking at me, her excessive need of late to come over and do “mom things”, told me what I suspected.

She fixed a simple dinner for us (mac & cheese, corn, baked chicken) and she started washing the dishes. I told her to let Isaac do it, that I wanted to talk to her.

“You’ve been in contact with John, haven’t you?”

It was more of a statement than a question.

“Yes.”

“I thought so...

“OK... Could you go by the courthouse tomorrow and pick up the paperwork?”

“OK.”

“And see if you can locate a quit claim for the house.”

“OK.”

“I’m sorry it has come to this.”

“So am I. I really didn’t want to hurt you.”

“Well, let’s try to do this right. Let’s try to be kind to each other. Let’s try to make it through this and still be friends.”

“I’d like that... I’m so sorry. This is all my fault.”

“No, it’s my fault too. I’m sorry I couldn’t be what you wanted in a husband. I guess I’m boring, like you said: ‘You’re a good man, and good is boring.’”

“No. I’ve been blaming you all these months and it has been me. I have made bad choices. I have been in the wrong. I just can’t stop thinking about him. I’m sorry.”

We went on like that for a little while. Promising that if things start to get rough on either of us, if we start to get angry, or excessively hurt, we’ll just walk away for a little while until we can talk to each other with kindness, gentleness.

So, it is over.

We are going to file for a divorce.

She loves someone else, she can’t stay true to her word of staying away from him. We have not been sharing each other’s hearts, and burdens, and dreams, and desires as a married couple should, as a married couple must.

We are going to do our best to be friends. After all, we have been best friends for a very long time. We have spent the last 28 years together.

I wish it wasn’t so. But wishing does not change the universe. Wishing won’t change her heart.

She says I have been extremely kind and generous.

I responded by saying she has been extremely fickle.

We smiled a little, hugged a little, even kissed a little. We really do love each other in a certain way. Just not the way that will maintain a marriage.

After the emotional stuff, after the talk about how to gently wean the boys from her frequent visits helping with cooking, shopping, and such, gradually preparing them for the reality of our future, we gave a few hugs, a few squeezes... small signs of affection which indicate how hard it is for both of us to admit where we really are... after all that we let each other go.

At the door I thrust my right hand out to her for a firm hand shake and said “Good luck to you,” the way a prospective employer might after just telling an interviewee that they aren’t quite right for the job.

I wore a small smirk, and she burst out laughing.

We gave each other a deep, long hug. Said goodbye.

12 comments:

Curious Servant said...

Did you know that the word "goodbye" came from the phrase: "God Be With Ye"?

God be with you, Brenda. I love you. I wish and want the best for you. I'm sorry I couldn't be what you needed.

Take care of yourself, honey.

Vicki said...

The Lord will strengthen you and be your provision, even when the outcomes are not what you desired. I'm praying, Will. Let Him be what you need.

May Brenda soon find Christ to be the only One who can meet her deepest need, not this John, or you, or any other man.

Anonymous said...

love you sh, artless

Anonymous said...

...
(takes breath)
...
(takes breath)
...

Aphra said...

I see a lot of my own relationship in what you write.
I am very sorry. I hope your path has more light and laughter coming down it.

Unknown said...

LOVE

Gigi said...

sending you a cyber hug of LOVE

Amrita said...

Things were heading this way, even though you tried your hardest.

its OK Will take it slowly from here. One day at a time.Its not gonna be easy.I am reaching out and squeezing your hand brother.

get some good trusted friends to be around you. You need people.

An American friend of mine (from South Carolina) was with me when she received her divorce papers by fax in India.I gave her all the support I could. I saw her suffer

But let me tell you Brenda is not happy or satisfied, she is just pretending. She just wants her own way with things.

Anonymous said...

One day at a time for sure....stick with this group of friends Will. We'll see you through this....and we're a force to be reckoned with .... admire you enormously for taking the high road while treading the crap.

Curious Servant said...

I don't know what to do with myself.

It seems... I'm not sure what it seems like.

I've been wrestling with this for so long. I had suspicians before proof, but the knowing of this mess has been since August.

I tried to do the right thing, and I am right where it all began, right where I could have had this eight months ago.

Except of course, I have... I don't know... done this integrity?

Intregrity. It means to be complete, without flaws... like a ship, a submarine, or a crusie ship, or a spaceship, must have integrity or it will fail.

Yet... How can I consider that I have integrity when it comes to the failure of a marriage?

No, integrity isn't the right word.

Perhaps I have been stubborn, or hopeful, or naive...

I wanted to be obedient to God. I wanted to be able to say that even if the marriage failed I did my best in dealing with her, with making decisions which would most benefit my children.

I'm restless.

I feel like reading, but I can't seem to concentrate. so I set the book down and check my email... for the 30th time today.

I have my children, but I have no partner.

Well... I suppose I haven't a partner, but I have the sense of being watched over. I know He will take care of me.

Even though this is a pretty big mess, I have no clear idea how I will deal with the challenges of caring for two mentally disabled children, well a teen and an adult, I have no clear idea how I will move ahead... i suppose it will happen.

I'll wake up tomorrow. Perhaps with enough sleep, perhaps without it, but I will wake up and go to work, and have the rare privellege of performing a job that is important, special.

I was in good form today.

My lessons flowed exactly as I wanted them to. Though the students were not given the chance to work today, each class was filled with discussions, and lecture, and examples, I believe I have prepared them for this next project.

I believe I inspired children today.

I believe I opened their eyes a little to the creative possibilities and adventure that await them in this next project I have designed for them...

I challenged them today to do more than I can imagine, to surprise me with innovation, with the encouragement to see new possibilites in the technology we have available.

That is pretty special.

I got to share vision and excitment and spark creative spirit.

Ah... but then I come home... and my wife is gone, and my children need feeding, and I do laundry and clean the floors...

So... I have some time right now, and I don't feel like really writing, writing a post,, thinking through things... I just read over the last comment to appear, and poke at these keys, and wonder...

what next?



-----

Gotta go...

Jeremiah wants me to help him shave.

Curious Servant said...

Got the boys off to bed... Isaac is depressed. i asked him if he wanted to talk about it.

"No, I don't want to talk about it. It will only make me sadder."

Sensitive boy. He's hurting. I can't bring myself to tell him flat out that Mom isn't coming back. I just tell him that she will be here in the morning to fix him breakfast and see him off to school.

It's her small act of penance.

Jeremiah is simpler, more straightforward.

"I miss Mommy."

"I know. So do I."

"When is she coming back?"

"I don't know honey, but she does love you. She'll be here in the morning to see you."

"She'll come to my Special Olympics practice, right?"

"Of course she will. She is signed up as a coach."

I don't tell him that I am thinking about dropping out as a coach since the practice takes place at the community college where John works.

Rocky, our dog, laid on the couch all evening. I coaxed him into the bedroom while I tried to read the half hour I was waiting for the sleeping tablet to take effect.

He got off the bed, laid down by the door. He kept sighing and whining and moaning.

I told him to be quiet, I told him to hush, I told him to knock it off, I told him to shut up.

I finally let him go to the living room to do his grieving.

I slept in the huge California king size bed with the single pillow.

Now it's another day.

It's bad enough I have lost my wife, that she is with another man. It's challenging enough to work all day and then fix dinner, wash clothes, clean house, help the boys with homework and teach them the basics of independent living.

But the sense of sorrow that drifts from my children, even from our dog, makes it all the sadder for me because I can't fix that.

Well... I got to go shower and get ready for work...

Jada's Gigi said...

God be with you, brother. My prayers join Vickie's..for you, for the boys..for Brenda.