Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Good News, Strange Developments

“Are you, or have you ever been, a member of an organization which promotes violence, or terrorism?

Blank look.

The interviewer’s mouth creased in a small smile.

“Have you ever been a member of the communist party?”

Jeremiah looked confused.

I butted in.

“He doesn’t understand. The only organizations he’s been involved in are our church, Boy Scouts, and Special Olympics.”

“I understand,” the man across the desk said with a friendly smile. “These are just standard questions.”

Across the country April 15th is a day many of my fellow Americans are nervous about filing their taxes. My wife and I were wondering what the future would hold for Jeremiah.

We were in an office in the Federal Building in downtown Portland. We were all dressed nice. I had put my wedding ring back on for the day.


The man across the desk did not seem the sort to go to the extreme of deportation, but we feared he may feel required to deny Jeremiah many of the opportunities which accompany permanent residency, and then, citizenship.

But it wasn’t like that at all.

Brenda and Jeremiah had the two seat directly in front of the desk. I was pulled up behind and between them. Our attorney sat to the right of us.

The questions were generally routine, except perhaps the first few.

“Why have you waited so long to file for permanent residency?”

Brenda replied, “Because we didn’t know we had to. In all the people we dealt with, the attorneys, the home study people, social security, we were never told we had to do anything.”

He smiled.

Bottom line... the friendly man behind the desk was not a typical bureaucrat, or someone inexperienced with dealing with unusual immigration cases. He had enough experience, enough seniority, that his recommendations carried a lot of weight. And he was a man who saw the reality of the situation and what he could do to fix it.

Brenda had picked up a letter from the asst. district attorney of our county which explained the situation behind the fire at our church nearly three years ago. he too out a highlighter and marked three passages, out it in the file.

After the routine questions he said that he was inclined to approve the permanent residency application. It may take a little while to get his supervisor’s approval, but he would see if he was available right now.

Five minutes later he returned. Asked for Jeremiah’s work permit, saying he won’t need it anymore. He literal rubber stamped the whole thing.

He reached into a drawer, pulled out a huge rubber stamp with small letters describing some sort of bureaucratic approval, and began stamping papers and signing in the areas of the stamping. He stood up, shook our hands.

Tears welled up in our eyes.

The biggest hurdle for Jeremiah had been cleared. he has permission to be a permanent resident in the United Sates of America.

In five years he would be able to apply for citizenship.

I could hardly believe what had just happened.

on the steps leading out of the court house I stopped a stranger.

“Pardon me... We’ve just had a rather significant event of our lives happen. would you mind taking our picture?”

She smiled, stepped back to get us fully in the picture, and snapped the picture.


It is such a relief!

Rapid shift...



Brenda wants back.

She moved out from John’s. Asked to sleep on the couch. of course I said yes.

I ran home this morning for something I had forgotten and found her replacing her things in drawers, closets, shelves.

“I have not agreed to this.,” I said.

She got angry. Threats, rants.

I simply said that if she wants to work on something, or change the situation she needs to talk with me, come to an agreement.

She sent me a text message:

hi i am walking
rocky right now
have been thinking
more and you are
right. I will go back
to kerri’s that

is the best thing
to do. i cant
expect you to
trust me i have
already destroyed
any chance of that
I am sorry about earlier.
i am not

doing so well right now
as you know

i guess its all going to
just take

some time, i will
pick up jeremiah
and meet you at
your house at
3:30


I have no idea what is going on, what to think, any of it.

I think about love, forgiveness, protecting my family, believing in marriage, sticking up for standards for myself, just doing the right thing.

She is right. I haven’t much reason to trust her.

I hope she can be all right.

I hope that whatever happens He will say... “Well done, good and faithful servant.”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh will this doesn't sound good for her (or you) at all to let her back. she needs her life straightened out first. she may also be thinking that in 5 years she can be free with jeremiah's hearing yesterday. Taking her back out of need or guilt is a bad thing. I'm not normally this strong but I also don't want to see all this happen over and over for any of you. I would think a statement re: alcohol in the home would be appropriate..geez, God help this mess.

Erin said...

I love that picture, Will.
And I love that you thought to ask someone to take it.

Curious Servant said...

Brenda has been trying to contact her AA sponsor to see if she can stay there.

No alcohol allowed there.

I'm going to make the same rule here, at least for now. It isn't a big thing for me anyway.

She wants back. My kids want her back. The dog wants her back.

I love her.

I just can't trust her... I don't believe her.

She wants to go outside away from thie kids and talk right now...

I need her to live elsewhere for now, prove she is trustworthy.

I have no evidence that she has or is changing except she seems so sad.

Well... later.

Gigi said...

I too love the photo..Jeremiah looks so happy.

Ame said...

WOO HOO!!!

HAPPY DANCE TIME!!!

YIPPIE!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

:)

Anonymous said...

Something is not right about this picture.
Just wondering: Is she back because she loves you or is it a conveniant place to live out of guilt and shame? Is she only stringing you along for her benefit?
Are you willing to NOT see each other for a while?
What I sense is that as long as the door is open, this pattern will continue. She is not getting the picture. YOU need to be the strong one here.
There is nothing more that I would like then to see the two of you come together in a healthy relationship. But what is happening now is NOT healthy.
Just my sense.