Sunday, April 13, 2008

There’s no Point to This

It’s Sunday afternoon, and I’m sitting with Jeremiah on a couch covered in cat hair in a narrow little beauty shop wedged between two buildings, maybe a dozen feet wide, while Isaac gets his dread maintenance in the back.

My heart is racing.

I shared at church today about Jeremiah’s meeting with the immigration folks on Tuesday. I asked for their prayers. I didn’t tell them that my wife is living with another man.

My heart is racing.

It is unlikely they will determine he should be deported to Haiti. But beside that unthinkable possibility there is a range of outcomes, most of them not very good for him.

I read this morning a news story about a U.N. policeman in Port au Prince, Haiti. That is the place where my children were before coming to the United States fifteen years ago. During a riot the officer was pulled from his U.N. marked car and executed in the street.

I miss my wife.

I don’t know where I’m going with this.

I facilitated a Sunday School class this morning, a discussion of the novel The Shack. My voice hardly trembled at all during the whole class.

Because of my request during the service folks were asking for details about the interview on Tuesday.

Jeremiah tells me he is scared.

So am I.

I just paused to ask Jeremiah what he is thinking about. He nervously told me he is thinking about Tuesday.

“But everything will be alright, right?” he asked.

His eyes were on mine, and then slipped off and back again, and out the door, and back again.

“Look at me,” I told him.

I held his eyes with mine.

“Nothing is going to happen to you. I’m your dad. I love you, and I will protect you. You are a good boy and it is going to be OK.”

“All right.”

I should have taken a Xanax today. It can’t be good for me to have my heart hammering in my chest hour after hour like this.

The Bible tells me not to be anxious.

We had a fundraiser Friday night. It was pretty cool. Our students fielded a dozen air bands (they lip synch to songs, pretending to sing and play instruments). There was everything from hip hop to mariachi bands. I was the lead singer for the staff band, The Majestics. I somehow managed to look like I was comfortable duck walking and singing “Louie, Louie” while they pulled out the stops with the lights and turned on a fog machine.

There were lots of prizes, and the kids raised over $9,000. One incentive for them was for every $5 they spent on The Battle of the Bands merchandise they got their name in a drawing for my beard. So, sometime soon, one of the students will shape my beard and mustache any way he likes and I’ll wear it for a week.

I’m pretty open to almost anything they want to do, but there was a suggestion I get a Hitler mustache, and I’m going to make sure that doesn’t happen.

I want to write something interesting in this post. I want to turn my mind to spiritual matters, or matters of science, or something else besides the two issues which grip me, make me tremble.

I wrote something yesterday. It is much better than this weird little post, this essay which has no point at all. Still, this little bit of random thought, this soliloquy of anxiety and fear, belongs with the other posts which chronicle my life.

I guess I’ll post this Monday afternoon. I imagine I will want to write about the experience with immigration on Tuesday, and so this meaningless bit of writing will rest at the top of my blog for only a short period.

I like that. I want to write about better things, deeper things, but all I have today are random paragraphs that have no point.

13 comments:

Curious Servant said...

Brace yourself...

another bizarre twist in this on going saga...

She came over this morning, to help get the boys off to school...

I sort of laid into her. Not angry, but telling her off.

Told her she was selfish. That she had jeapardized my health by exposing herself and me to STDs. That I am working my tail off to repair the damage of this ongoing train wreck. That the cars of that train are still flipping through the air as I have yet to tell the boys. That I am daily confronted by situations where I have to decide how to explain her absence while she is off oblivious to the mess in our home. That she was wrong.

She sat there, agreeing with me, saying she deserved what I was saying.

Then she said it...

"OK. You're right. I'll stop seeing John. I'll move back here and sleep on the couch. Work on fixing things."

I told her, that's not good enough.

"This is no longer just your choice. I'm not sure I want you back. You have hurt me, and I have good reasons to believe you will hurt me again. If you want to work on this, you need to work on yourself. You need to get to a place where this is not a conceivable option for you, jerking me, jerking my family, around. You cannot move back here. If you want to try, the first thing you need to do is move out from John's and get your head on straight. Then you need to change, truly change, and then I need to recognize that change. That is the only way we could repair this mess. I don't think you are up to the hard work. Making yourself a martyr, saying you are giving up something you really want for the good of this family isn't enough. You can't just throw yourself on this emotional grenade and expect us to heal.

"We can talk about this later..."

I wrote something yesterday about all this... I was going to post it this afternoon...

I told her that I have tried to protect her from the fallout of all this, but she should know that coming back will not be easy on a lot of levels, the first being me.

There is a reader who feels I am unfair to my wife. That I am harsh, unforgiving.

I'm not going to defend myself. I believe in marriage. What she is proposing is not a matter of walking together into the future.

True, it is a big step, but she has said this before, and betrayed me over and over.

I need toprotecct my children, and myself.

There have been times when I wonder if I'm breaking under this strain. I need to make sure that I am following myLord, and not letting my vulnerability of low self esteem and fear dictate a course of actions which will ultimately prove useless.

April 14, 2008 12:46 PM
Anonymous said...

Will,
Everything you have written is good. You're seeing all the sides and asking God to expose even more.
Healthy boundaries - easier said than done.
In all of this I think you've been fair. More than fair.

Erin said...

Dude!

I was going to leave a smart comment about the fate of your moustache and beard... but then I read your comment.

Praying.
For this.
For the meeting tomorrow.


And Will... you've got to post pictures post-shave :)

Coco said...

No,you are not being "unfair", or "selfish"...you're being too nice. (my opinion)

*TRUST in the Lord!!

No, INS will NOT take your little boy from you!! Where will they place a special needs child?!

*TRUST in the Lord!!

And to change the subject a little... : )
I'm sure those middle school kids can't wait to do something with your beard/moustache/hair!! Sounds like lots of FUN!!

Hugs & Blessings

Curious Servant said...

Brenda was here when I came home. I figured she would be. She went to Jeremiah's IEP meeting at the school.

She'd been drinking.

She got ornery, and I got ticked.

But things got better, and she shared dinner with us.

A week or so ago the boys and I watched the 1960 version of "The Time Machine", and then a couple of days later we watched the 2002 version.

Tonight we watched the 1968 version of "The Planet of the Apes" and tomorrow or the next night we'll watch the 2001 version.

She went and laid down in the bed snuggled with the dog. I finished a few chores and checked on her. She's asleep.

Earlier she told me a few things about how she feels, and I know she is right about a number of things about me.


It doesn't excuse her behavior, doesn't mean we are going to find a way through this mess together, but I do understand her a little bit better.

I think I'll let her sleep.

I hope tomorrow goes well. I have no clue what is going on, what is coming next, what I should do...

Doesn't matter. I don't need to know. All I need to know is I have to put the boys to bed, get a little rest myself.

ukok said...

Praying for you and the boys today!

Anonymous said...

Will, sweetheart - she is an alcoholic who is still in her addiction. try to think of it as someone who was in a car accident and has suffered a head injury, and then gets back into the car and hits the wall again. and again. and again.

it is cyclical and will continue as long as she is active in her addiction. you can't quit drinking while still drinking. it doesn't work that way.

she wants to say and do the right things by you because she has been with you for so long, it is a comfort zone; but you are correct in saying you cannot trust her because of her track record. until she has a good deal of sobriety under her belt, it would remain a crap shoot.

keep it before your Lord. ask Him to lead and guide you. look down at your feet during the moments of absolute insanity and say "this is where He wants me to be...right here, right now." all will be well.

all is well with your soul. you are a good man.

peace,
penni

Curious Servant said...

Maybe.

I'm apprehensive about this morning. I ironed my dressiest clothes. I put my wedding ring back on. Anything to make this look as good as possible.

She passed out in my bed about 7:00. Came out at 11:30, told me that she would sleep in the living room, I told her to go ahead and take the bed.

Had a nightmare in the middle of the night... staggered back to my bed. Fell asleep.

Woke up to us cuddling.

She asked me if I still want her to move in with her sponsor. I told her yes.

I don't know how I can ever trust her. She would have to change so much, and perhaps I need to change as well.

But, you are right. Look at my feet, know I am where I should be, lift my hands, and put them to the next task.

Aphra said...

praying for your meeting today

Curious Servant said...

GOSPEL!


To our astonishment we got a senior adjunctator who had the experience and expertise to ask the right questions, get through the red tape, and accepted the letter from the D.A. to recommend approval of Jeremiah's request for his "green card."

Then, he said he needed his supervisor's approval, and would see if he was available. He came back and rubber stamped everything, took Jeremiah's work permit card away, saying he does not need it any more, that the official documents would come within 7-10 days.

That he now has permission to reside permanently in the U.S. and that he can apply for citizenship in 5 years!

I looked at Brenda, she at me, and our eyes teared up. It is such a relief!!!!

Erin said...

Wooohooo!!! Oh, what good news. I can't imagine what a relief this must be. Wow.

So very happy for you, Will.

Jada's Gigi said...

Thank you, Lord! One huge strss off at least..and its ok to ramble in posts...sometiem we ar all so stressed we don't know what we are thinking or saying..i know, I've been there.
Still praying for you in this roller coaster ride. Know this, you are a man of integrity.

Anonymous said...

I'm very pleased for you, the weight of your worry is lessening at long last, hat's reason enough to celebrate!

All good to you.

Aphra said...

I am so happy for you :)