Thursday, May 21, 2009

Middle School

I teach middle school.

That is sixth, seventh, and eighth graders, eleven to thirteen years old.

Aside from the first three, these three years are probably the years of greatest change.

Educating these children is more than pouring math and grammar and geography and science into their minds. It is also a process of civilizing them.

That process doesn’t end at middle school, or high school. It shouldn’t ever end, really. We are never quite as much as we can be. I know I’m not as civilized as I’d like to be.

I taught advanced placement literature at a high school my first year as a pedagogue. It was a temporary position. I had hoped to find a similar position, but middle school is where I landed.

Turns out I like it.

Amazing changes in these students. They come in as little kids, nervous about the larger school, mixing with new kids from the other elementary schools. Two years later they leave, certain they are the coolest creatures having deigned to walk the earth.

During their three years here they can change suddenly. Different clothing styles, different friends, different haircuts.

Their views can be very concrete... black and white. Things are or aren’t. That is why they are always testing the boundaries of rules and teachers’ patience. They need to understand where the line is.

My primary task with them is their safety. I am strictest in having them adhere to my rules in situations having to do with fire drills or lock down drills.

After that I feel it is important to try and instill a love of learning. If they can learn to like to learn, they will turn out fine.

Then comes the subject matter. The curriculum I have for them... it is best presented so they want to know it. That is a real challenge, and not one I always succeed at doing.

Finally, my job is just plain civilizing them. They have much to learn... Learning how to deal with dramatic social issues, learning to respect themselves, each other, property. Learning how to be polite, be kind. This is where I look at the child, try to see the adult they will become, and guide them to a place where they will better fit into the world.

Those are the elements which fill my work days. I have the privilege of teaching children at this crucial time in their lives. The privilege to teach the children of my neighbors, my community.

I hope learning doesn’t stop in school for them.

For myself I love to learn new things (it’s why I call my self “Curious”). However, the information I glean from Scientific American or NASA’s websites, or other sources is just knowledge, stuff.

The more important learning is the civilizing part. Partly I look for those who are further along in some area and try to learn from them. Some if it comes from my faith, some from reading, or praying, contemplating, meditation.

I think life itself is a type middle school, a place between the care of our mortal parents and the adventures of eternity. We are supposed to continue to learn to deal with dramatic social issues, learn how to respect ourselves, each other, and property. Learn to be polite, be kind.

3 comments:

HennHouse said...

Wow. I wish my middle schooler had a teacher like you.

Ame said...

having an 11 year old who is going into 6th grade middle school in the fall ... i'm absorbing all this info like a parched sponge! you'll have to write more so i can learn more ...

oh, my ... is this ever a fun and interesting and intriguing age! i'm having so much fun with her ... she's an incredible delight! (but, oh my ... does she ever push the boundaries. i wonder how old she really is sometimes :).

Marvin said...

So many schools and teachers are overly concerned with instilling the proper "attitudes" in children, rather than teaching them useful things. It's creating a nation of malleable morons. Teaching them useful things, while demonstrating civilized behavior, should be enough, without resorting to the outright propaganda found in many textbooks and lesson plans today.

I'm glad you're civilizing your students!