Thursday, May 7, 2009

Truer Truth

Perhaps I'm being lazy (though I am in the middle if writing another post), but the other evening a friend showed my son and I a photograph on her computer and the interchange over it makes for an easy post here:


Isaac was fascinated by the image and asked me about it. I told him that though it is purported to be a real photograph, I greatly doubted it (for several reasons), for several reasons. I also told him that much of what was in the picture is accurate, the size of the iceberg, the shape of it under the water, the colors...

My friend wrote me later that upon further reflection she thought I may be right (which is taking a chance since I'm fairly sure that most of what I think, surmise, conjecture, is erroneous).

I replied to her email this way:

It doesn't matter...

There is often more truth in false images than true ones....

What was beautiful in that photo were the shapes, the colors, the size... All of those aspects of the image are correct, even if humans could not see it that way.

Many astronomical photos are recorded in ranges of the electromagnetic spectrum in which humans are unable to see... that does not mean the images aren't there... just that they have to be adjusted for us to be able to appreciate them.

Most of what we find beautiful occurs not within the eyes or optic nerves, but within the interface between mind and heart. Isn't that the truer truth?

The better test of what is right and just and true is the response of the heart. If it is good, then it is of God. If it is of God, then it is true. Truer than the most "accurate" photos of the atrocities depicting the evils within the hearts of men.

Just food for thought...

P.S.: I found the source of the picture... you can see it in all it's glory at this site, toward the bottom of the page.

2 comments:

Gigi said...

and what I love about that photo is it shows me what people are like...

so much more than what we see..

so much below the surface....

so many experiences that shape what is not shown....

Unknown said...

Reminds me of you. So solid a foundation, even in an unsure sea, steady. Sure the surface may take some abuse; melting, wind-wear, salt-slaps. But it will continue on its journey......