Monday, July 21, 2008

Bed Time

It's been over a half hour since I told the boys to get ready for bed.

They're dawdling.

As I passed Isaac in the kitchen I patted his shoulder.

"I'm almost ready," he said. "I'm just getting some water."

"No, I wasn't, I mean I wasn't saying... Uh, yeah, it is bed time. But I wasn't hinting that you are taking too long. I was just letting you know I love you. That I know you are having a hard time.

"So am I. I'm just under a lot of stress right now. We all are."

"I'm guessing Mom is too."

"Huh. You know, you're right. I've been thinking that since she is the one who left, that she was... I don't know...

"But you're right. She is probably having a lot of stress too."

We fell silent for a moment.

Isaac spoke.

"If she is looking for happiness, then she must not be happy."

"What did you say?"

"If she is looking for happiness, then she must not be happy."

"Isaac, that was a very astute thing for you to say. I'm astonished."

He stopped and looked at me in surprise. His face beamed at the praise. It must be one of the few times someone has said he has said something very smart.

So...

Two things.

1. Brenda is looking for happiness, and still hasn't found it.

2. My son can make some astonishing connections.

7 comments:

Coco said...

Your children are great!!

I am sorry that you are hurting...
and that she is, too.

Life?! It is what we make it to be-
keep looking for the positive...
for the good that God has created.

Hugs & Blessings

4plumb said...

Children are some of those great things that God gives us to make us smile.
Isaac is a great, compassionate person and has a wonderful smile.

Hug them often. It will make you feel better too.

Aphra said...

Keep pointing out things that he says that are clever! We all appreciate that, and it's probably pretty important to him right now.

Hoping you all find happiness in some way... (though defining happiness is difficult really)

Anonymous said...

I love your acknowledgement of your children. You have a big heart, Will.
Glad we are here to support you.
SS

Amrita said...

Issac knows what it takes to be happy. He knows the value of relationships.His heart is sensitive.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

I am a recent visitor to your blog. When I first came, I was struck by the joy you had in the face of trials. I am sorry for you, your wife and kids for the situation you are currently in. I do pray that God will bring healing and love to you all. In response to an earlier post, I would just ponder if Jesus was a wimp for letting himself be beaten and mocked and crucified. Surely, he showed the bravery borne from supreme love. God bless.

Anonymous said...

And so, Isaac has shown you that your example before him has not failed.

I give thanks. :)