Saturday, July 26, 2008

Metacognition

Went to see Brenda last night. I'm not sure what I expected, so I went prepared. I wrote something for her to read:

---------------------

Brenda: I’m just not sure of your intentions. Much of that can, and should, wait until we see the counselor. But, though you have “left” John, I’m unsure if this means anything.

After your first affair you were very remorseful. So much so that we had a second marriage ceremony. We exchanged vows again. That seemed about as earnest as things could get.

This past year you have moved out three times. The last time you came back was after your accident. You called me first at the time of the accident. I came immediately to your aid.


You said you knew that the accident was a wake up call. That you had to change. You begged me to take you back. You said you’d sleep in the van. You said you would do whatever I said to make it work.


That lasted only a few weeks.


You then betrayed me again.


Now we are on the merry go round again.


You have moved out from John, but when it comes to my asking you what you want to do, you have only the vaguest answers:


“I moved in to my mom’s,” does not address how we are to move forward.


That is a lot to ask me to believe after the times you have broken your word, hurt me and our kids.


A change where you “let go and let God.” A change that makes us partners, not slaves to the past or each other.


If you are not willing to really make such changes, then it would be best if we call it quits. I can’t take any more of the yo yo stuff.


I deserve more than this.


---------------------

"Yeah. You're right. OK."

Over the next few hours (we walked around an REI tent sale, had dinner, sat in her motel room and talked) I didn't see what I was hoping to see.

A repentant Brenda. A woman who sees and owns her mistakes. A woman I could trust.

I have toyed with the idea of giving myself a little break. A couple of days to catch my breath somewhere. A short retreat.

I thought about having Brenda here to watch the boys, but I know it isn't a good idea.

She said she wants to want me. She wants to want to be my wife. What a tepid answer to all my questions!

She has been thinking that this is about the boys. This is about finishing the job of raising them.

"And what about after they are moved out? What about us then?" I asked.

"Well, hopefully we would have learned to love each other again and can stay married."

I had a soda with dinner last night I had never tried before (Brenda had a beer). Moxie. I like vintage sodas, Sarsparilla, root beer, Verner's Ginger Ale. This one has an aftertaste that is bitter and... odd. Like the conversation we were having last night.

She mentioned that she needed to do laundry. There was an uncomfortable pause.

"Well, I'm planning on doing laundry tomorrow, but you can come over and do yours too if you need. But you need to let me know when you are coming first."

Another uncomfortable pause.

After a while she said that there was a laundry place at her mom's apartments.

I didn't say anything.

After a while I said, "You're going to need an apartment. You can't stay forever on your mom's couch."

"An apartment!?! I thought I'd be moving back in a few weeks when the boys go back to school! How can I afford an apartment working part time?

"I feel like I am losing my home!"

"You aren't losing it. You threw it away.

"I've been telling you, if we are going to move forward together, I need to be convinced that I can trust you. That is up to you. You can't do that in just a few weeks. And truthfully, our conversation tonight hasn't shown me any signs of improvement. You are still blaming circumstances for your actions. Most of this we can talk about in counseling. But I'm not getting the sense that there has been any real change in you."

The conversation went on like that for a while.

She mentioned that half the house belongs to her. I think that was supposed to frighten me because of the financial burden refinancing would mean in order to give her her share. House payments would certainly go up, and things are already tight. I told her I have always been ready to do all of that.

She mentioned how I told her I felt robbed, and that she was doing this because I am asking her to.

"No, when I told you I felt robbed by what you have done, I wasn't asking you to come back so I could regain the help and love I need. I was telling you that to share how I feel, my emotions. That has nothing to do with the fact that I accept the responsibility of this house, these children, and that I am willing to move on."

She is bitter, like that soft drink, and she isn't showing that what I need is important to her besides the burden of work I am doing in caring for these boys. And that is more about her guilt than her wanting to help me.

She was lying on the bed, feeling sorry for herself. Saying she wished she was dead.

I finally had enough. Patted her shoulder, told her to take care of herself and get some sleep. She didn't reply.

I went to the door, stepped outside, turned...

"You should be thinking about the mess in your heart and how you need to grow. You should be hugging me, kissing me, telling me I am loved."

I shut the door. Went home.

I know I'm not dealing with all of this very well. I see how my heart and mind works.

I'm not convincing her of anything except perhaps that I am serious about working things out and about being firm if they don't.

I know other things about myself as well.

I know I am very tired. I am drained emotionally, physically, spiritually.

And I see how my mind is working. Metacognition.

I see I have been rolling back and forth through the first four stages of grief and have only just begun to tentatively take step five. I see I am motivated by reaching for Maslow's third level of needs. I see I am more driven by empathy for others than self preservation.

We have a counseling session on Tuesday. It is something I will do because it is the right thing. But, I don't have any faith that she will change.

Last night she says that I have changed in the last few years which adds to her guilt. That implies that she sees the problems stemming from causes outside herself.

She still doesn't get it.

I'll continue to be aware of who I am, and try to find my way through this. Mostly likely, without her.

Lord, give me strength, peace, and wisdom. I am in need of Your guidance. --Amen.

18 comments:

Terry said...

Dear Curious Servant. Thank you for saying hi the other day, and I am sorry that I did not come here sooner.
This is such a bad state that you are in. I wonder if Brenda really knows what she is missing, and like you say throwing away.
You have done everything you could and you are still doing the right thing by planning to go to the counsellor with her.
What a treasure you are and she doesn't even know it!
It must be hard for those precious boysof yours too with all the going back and forth.
You know that you have many friends praying for you.
I pray but I don't even know how you are hurting.
I can feel a little of the pain though.
Take care my friend...Love Terry

Erin said...

You know... a retreat sounds like a really good idea, Will. Particularly before you head back to school. But you're right, it wouldn't be a good idea to have Brenda stay to look after the boys. If there was any way to work this out, I think the break would do you a lot of good.

Anonymous said...

Will - one comment (unasked for : )
I wouldn't try to figure out or tell her where she can or can't stay...If you just say she's not allowed back into your home let her figure that out. When you do it feels like you're dictating.
Let her figure out life away from you.
c

Anonymous said...

No more, Will. Don't give her any slack, she needs to learn to swim on her own.
SS

Curious Servant said...

S
he is here today. Doing laundry.

She sees how much we are doing on our own.

"It looks like you really don't need me around here."

"We don't need a maid. It' a lot of work, but you aren't wanted here for what you do but the relationship. Being a mom. Being a wife.

"I see you have put your wedding ring back on."

"Yeah a couple of days ago. I see you aren't wearing yours."

"No... I won't put it back on until I believe that I can trust you and I have a wife, a relationship."

Later.

KAN said...

Will, again, some unsolicited "advice". I hate divorce. Divorce is not in God's plan. But neither is alcoholism, adultery, emotional adultery, etc. Two are supposed to cleave as one.

I wholeheartedly VOTE that Will take care of Will and his two sons. They MUST have stability in their lives right now. At the risk of complete corniness, it is imperative your sons know YOU are the dependable rudder for their little sailboats of life as they ride through this emotional storm.

It is so easily said, and I know not so easily done, but quit obsessing on Brenda and focus on WILL and his sons. They deserve the focus. They really do.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kan...

In l00% agreement - it's time.

These children are your charge.

c

Anonymous said...

keeping you in our daily prayers, Will.

Alexa

Jim said...

Hi C.S. I hadn't read over here for a long time. I'm glad you posted a note on my comments, thank you. Now I know things aren't good, I had been thinking they might be.

I don't have any advice except to say I am really glad you two are going to a counselor. That is an answer to prayer. So many times one or the other won't do that.

Now I guess we pray that the counseling will be good, or at the least constructive to the problems.
It may be that the kids will need counseling also?
..

4plumb said...

Will, Having gone through what you are going through (alcoholism, infidelity plus abuse) I can say that when I stopped obsessing about my ex and started taking care of my children and myself and showing them that we would be okay was when I not only felt their respect but his as well.
You need to stop letting her play with your emotions and set some boundaries.
Remind Isaac that Sara said she would listen anytime he needed to talk.

Unknown said...

Another AMEN for Kan!

Will.... I hope you know by now that I love you. I have thought and prayed and hoped and wished for peace, love and happiness for you, Brenda, Isaac and Jeremiah for a long time. Do you realize that you and I bumped into each other almost three years ago now? I have read every word you have written since. And I know you have read mine. We have posted, emailed and spoken to each other. You (and your family) are in my thoughts and prayers daily without fail.
When I stood on the edge of Gooseneck in Arizona (some 28 years ago) and looked out across the chasms and into the desert, I had a calm. A peace. A quiet-cool. When I first "met" you, your words described that place. I haven't heard you speak of that place in a long time. It saddens me.

I have listened carefully to what you have been saying for a while now before forming my thoughts into the following (please forgive me if I offend you):

MY sense of this is that Brenda's attitude/feelings/motivation comes from more than just the alcoholism. This leaves me cold. For if it were just that, I would have more hope that she (with help/counseling) would/could get back on track. But from everything I have heard, MY interpretation of it is this:
She does not repent. She does not take this seriously. She comes and goes as she pleases and knows you will let her get away with it. Just like in your post when you said she asked to bring her clothes over. You said, "okay" and she said, "good, I'm already on my way."
I so want this to work out for you and the boys. You are doing everything you can and then some. As one of your other readers posted, "she is doing nothing." Not really. It just all seems like her only motivators are obligation through guilt, inconvenience and "no where else to go."
My uncle (the millionaire) has a saying, "If money weren't an issue, what would you do?" Easy question when you are filthy rich, but he's a really great man, so I gave it some thought. Speaking as someone who has always busted his balls to provide for his family and still lives paycheck to paycheck, this question really gets the mind moving.
Ask her out of the blue and listen to what she says. I pray her answer has something (anything) to do with you and the boys.

I love you my brother. Till the day I die and then some more;-)

Justin

Anonymous said...

Will, you are an amazing person to have friends like these who often write in your posts. I have seen more caring, loving, God focusing here than I have anywhere else. These folks really love you and want Gods best for you and your family. These friends have been with you through a lot of family dynamics. From what I have seen they are wise (some a little blunt like me : )
and have depth and caring that goes deep. So, it's not lightly that you are cautioned to take care of yourself and the boys. Prayerfully deep stuff here!
Love and respect you.

c

Curious Servant said...

Thanks folks.

Brenda was here quite a bit today.

I see someone who is... I just deleted a list of adjectives... No need to get detailed here and now.

I love that I am so loved by so many. Thank you.

The advice does have quite a range, and it makes things easier to see myself reflected in all those eyes.

This latest stuff is challenging, and difficult, but I think it is good for me. I am being forced to draw firm boundaries with someone who does not wish to lose any control of any of this... and has much trouble controlling herself.

I doubt that there is much chance for us to work it out... but... we can do the counseling thing. We can do the trying to be reasonable stuff.

I don't think that in the end she can make the changes she needs to make. It is amazing to hear how much of this is my fault.

But... I obviously believe in miracles, and I will be patient.

What does it cost me?

Well... stress... but, I think she will either have a breakthrough (maybe breakdown), or she will see that she is not going to get what she wants here and will go elsewhere.

Today she set a timetable. Six months. She will stay with her mom for six months and if we haven't worked it out, she wants a divorce.

I think it is posturing, and I don't think it will be that long before something happens.

But I have maintained that there isn't a timetable for me. She cannot come back unless I am convinced she is trustworthy. Who knows how long that may take?

Meanwhile... I will care for my kids.

That's enough.

G'night!

Anonymous said...

Whether or not you love her, do you like Brenda? Does she bring out the good in you like no one else? Can you laugh with her? Cry with her? Did she bring you closer to God? If so, can she say all the same of you?

We all have our crises, including Brenda. We all crash and burn. It is most horrible to divorce. I'd avoid it if possible, and usually, when both trees bend, it is possible.

(Carol) oh, and by the way, I sound clinical here, but I'm praying for you all. I'm sorry you all are so wounded. He may yet have an Answer you'll like. Hang in there.

Amrita said...

Some good advice there for you Will.

I think Brenda is co-dependent and is using you to meet her needs.

If she really cares about you and the boys, will will go into therapy and councilling and find someone she is accountable to.

I say ask her to drop all contact with you, no phone or meeting in person for a week at least.See how it goes.

She is sick, she needs to be treated.Don 't let her dangle you from a fishing pole.

Anonymous said...

Amtita - good point.
Will she will be so close to your home. It would be best to limit calls, texting, visits while you go through the 6 month wait. She is too physically close to you right now.

Lucy Stern said...

Will, you are in a real deliema here....I wouldn't want it for the world but we don't get to pick our problems.

1) I know that you want to have your wife back to love you and the boys, but what is this doing to the boys? Think about how she leaves every time and what it does to them. Don't they wonder if their mom loves them enough to stay for them?

2) Look at what this has done to you....It has toren you apart. Yes, marriage is worth fighting for, but how long are you going to let her run all over you. Please set some boundries, because right now, she thinks she can just come back any time she wants and do it again and again. How long can the boys go thru this. They, and you, need to know that she loves you and is there for you. What kind of example is this setting for the boys of what a loving marriage is about?

3) I do think that some time away would be good for you. Do you have a friend who could watch the boys? Take a long weekend and just get away from everything, no phones, computer, newspaper and just get out in nature and enjoy Gods green earth. Do something you have always wanted to do and think about all the good things that the Lord has to offer you. The Lord wants us the have joy in our life and right now you need a little of that. Maybe it will help you clear your head and help you think a little clearer.

I hope I don't sound too harsh, but you and the boys deserve better. You have a lot of friends who love and support you and really care about you. Please don't dig a hole too deep to climb out of. Brenda is going to have to come to her own realization of what she really wants and you need to stick to what kind of wife you are willing to have. Remember that you deserve a wife who will love you for who you are, love your children and be willing to stay with you thru thick and thin. Just realize that every time she walks out, she rips at your heart and the boys too. How much more can they take.

My prayers are with you and the boys.......

Marvin said...

Dear Will, you are patient to a fault. ;-) The alcoholic always blames someone else for her problems. I admire your desire to talk things through. You are more willing to be hurt again than I would be.

I am praying for you all.