Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Quick Note

I just reread the previous post.

Obviously I was a little fed up. I don't usually use such language.

She and I took the boys to their counselor's for their testing (evals needed for determining how we can best help them).

She told me she was going to stay with her mom for now. This afternoon she called and said she was in a motel for a few days.

I think that is a good idea. She needs some time with herself.

I have started another post. More theological/philosophical. I tend to do that. When I go so far one way I go a different direction to give myself a break.

But... not going to work on it tonight. Just too tired.

Took the boys to see a movie this afternoon. Wall-e. It was pretty good. Little hard working robot falls in love. Cute.


Believe it or not, I felt a little choked up at the end, when he finds true love.

Walked Isaac through fixing Hamburger Helper and cooking up some yellow crook neck squash from the garden. He has a ways to go... he is so scattered. But he'll get there. I told him we will take turns cooking each night, the three of us.

Well... I'm going to go put on some pajamas, crawl into bed.

Thanks everyone for your prayers and putting up with my rough edges.

4 comments:

KAN said...

I wanted to add this to your last post's comments, but I came here instead. I felt like I wanted to add my two cents. You know, the old "for what it's worth..."

I was raised in a famiy of alcoholics. No that's not true: the truth is it was a family of drunks! It's the old idea that "alcoholics" are going to AA; drunks aren't. I never went on a vacation, never had a holiday, rarely had a weekend that wasn't RUINED by drunks. Most of the drunks in my family were/are the mean variety: say the most hateful things, do the most hateful things and tomorrow either don't remember or remember enough to want to go and buy you something to make amends.

I started drinking about the age of 13 or 14. I had two older brothers, both serious drinkers themselves. Who would have thought that children raised in Hell would want the Hell for their lives. What choices we make.

Drinking was a way of life, and it ruled my life. However, I was a "functional" drunk: went to school, made great grades, went to college, did very well, graduated with honors,worked, even taught school. Scary, huh.

From about 17 until 22, I had very few days of sobriety. Did the Al Anon thing, did the AA thing.

I have read EXTENSIVELY about alcoholics and their families. I do not buy into the illness issue. I really don't. Granted, I might have the genes, the tendencies, the inclinations, etc to drink, but it is still MY choice.

I KNOW I have an addictive type personality. Whether it be alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, men, food - I have wrestled with them all! I can be an overcomer. It is still what I choose.

I decided one day that I DID NOT want the life of my father, my uncles, my grandfathers, my brothers, my aunts, my cousins. I wanted a sober life, a straight life, a clean life, a Godly life, if I may.

I have it. I've worked hard for it. And now I am working towards a SLIM life. Overcoming yet another addiction.

Talk about "spouting off". Thanks for the soap box.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Kan - blessings to you for good and Godly choices in the right direction.
I agree re: Alcohol vs. choices.
I am a incest survivor and I do not molest my children nor anyone else. My choice.
Raised with alcoholics in the homel. Made the choice to not have alcohol. A choice.
Time for some real firm boundaries that cannot be crossed again....tough love is tough and not easy.

Live, Love, Laugh said...

Curious, you are in my prayers, God is working. I have learned recently to let go more and relax and let God take control. You have inspired me and helped me along the way and I want to say thanks again for that. I will lift you up and God will make a way where there seems to be none.

Amrita said...

I no Brenda has an adicction, but if she 'd focus on the troubles of others she 'd forget her 's.So many people are suffering unimaginable things and they are carrying on.

My keyboard is malfunctiong, that 's y i can 't spell properly.