Monday, July 28, 2008

Growing a Spine

Brenda is really ticked. She called several times, sent text messages...

"You are making it hard for me to do the right thing."

"...I guess it feels very unfair that no matter how much of our belongings I may have paid for nothing is mine anymore. Oh I know that was my choice but damn it feels a lot like there is no longer any reason for me to stick around! There's nothing for me here that I couldn't have regardless of where I was staying, so what's the use?"

"I am not sure it is worth it to work so hard for a relationship I have not been happy in for such a long time. I guess I could rent a storage space for my stuff while I am at Mom's but it will really reduce the chances of our ever working things out at least I can probably afford that better than an apartment and have access to my personal belongings until I get a full time job. I'd rather not force you to take out a loan on the house at a time when I know it will put more of an economic strain on you. Perhaps I can afford my own place in a few months."

She will be up soon and off to work. Her anger will smolder all day, in her mind creating more justifications for the way she feels, the unfairness of my actions.

I just typed up the following letter and put it on her windshield:

Brenda:

I am so sorry that we are in this place, and most especially about how you are feeling.

It is partly my fault. If I had treated your betrayal during your first affair this seriously, demanding a separation that gave us both space to work on our relationship without the muddiness of something in between, it may have been fixed then. I was weak. I wanted you back (I still do), but I sent you signals that what you had done wasn’t so bad.

I made it worse by responding the same way the second time you moved out.

And the third.

Each time I took you back I said I would not ever do it again. And in letting you walk back again again, I lost a piece of my self respect, and gave you the impression it was OK to betray me.


I believe that your coming and going from our home is confusing to the boys, as it is to me. It needs to be treated as serious as it really is.

You chose to move out. You said you would not help, or return.

I believe we both need some space to heal.

It hurts a great deal that every time we speak you use some sort of threat to get me to do what you want. You have not told me anything that makes me feel that I am nothing more than a disposable piece of shit.

You constantly threaten if I do this or that you will not be likely to work on our relationship, which is the only part of this that matters to me.

You continue to tell me how important John is to you without saying how important I should be, or that I am loved, or that I am worth anything. Instead you threaten legal issues, emotional issues, tell me how little you will do to help.

I don’t give a shit about any of that. I just don’t want this yo yo stuff to continue. Four times you have left me for another.

If things were reversed, I believe you would have kicked my ass out the first time, demanded a permanent legal separation, and had me demonstrate I could be faithful before I would be allowed back in the house.

Somehow, in our society, if a man were to do the same thing he would have been kicked out on his ass and made to live on his own the first time.

This is not what I want.

When you read the last letter I wrote you said: “You’re right. It’s true. You deserve this.”

But, you have not done anything yet to provide for me what I need.

I am so sorry that we are here. But this is exactly what you said you would do, and now you have been trying to back away from that.

Show me I can trust you. Convince me I can trust you. I can’t have you hurt me or the boys this way any more.

I feel like heel.

Here it is 5:00 a.m. I have been up since 4:00... after going to bed at midnight.

11 comments:

Marvin said...

Congratulations! You ARE growing a spine. However, alcoholics always blame everyone else except themselves for their problems. So it's your fault. And you know that's bullshit.

You are being patient to a fault, in my unasked-for opinion. ;-) Four times she's kicked you in the balls. How many more times does it take to realize that she cannot and will not change her behavior?

My unasked-for advice: Shun her. Don't waste time with conversations or letters. The relationship you hoped for is gone, and has been gone for a long time I think. The best thing to do is to ignore her. Work through a lawyer to sever all your connections. Sell your house if you need to. But she will keep doing this to you unless you remove her ability to do it. "They cannot hurt you unless you let them," said the great philosophers Everclear (the band). ;-)

I'm sorry if this is rushed - I must go to work. I hope you have a better day!

Anonymous said...

Will,
Marvin is right.
Alcoholics are the best liars and manipulators. Get legal advice. And, I don't think this is only about alcoholism, lying and manipulating. This is way beyond "in sickness and health".

Unknown said...

That's a huge (difficult) step. Stay strong Will. You are doing what must be done.

Praying, hoping, wishing, loving.

Justin

Thank you for your prayers and for being there for me.

Curious Servant said...

Thank you. I got up at 4:00 to write that letter to her. After going to bed at midnight.

She just called. We discussed bills, closing and opening bank accounts, moving her stuff. She is crying, very hurt.

She hadn't read the letter on her windshield yet.

Just fixed Jeremiah his breakfast (a good one, sausage, toast, eggs, fresh strawberries).

I am so tired...

Anonymous said...

You wrote:
"Just fixed Jeremiah his breakfast (a good one, sausage, toast, eggs, fresh strawberries)."
This touches me, Will, and I can tell you got some satisfaction out of providing for Jeremiah. Good.
Keep up these "small' things which in reality are HUGE.
You are growing up, my friend.
I am proud of you.
SS

Lucy Stern said...

Will, it is about time you stood your ground with Brenda. Before she was able to walk all over you and the boys, she thought she could and that it didn't matter. Now you are showing her that she needs to face the facts of what she has done. She can no longer just come and go whenever she wants.

My sister had to make her husband leave after he got a little too friendly with a lady he was working with. She told him that he could not come back until she knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that he really wanted to be with her. He told her he loved her and he would never do it again. She told him sorry but you are going to have to prove it to me. They had to start over again with dates and talks on the phone before she decided that she could trust him again. Nothing like that has ever happened again and he is glad that she took him back. It took a while but she trusts him and their marriage is better. That happened about 15 years ago.....That doesn't mean that it will happen like that for you, but it is a place to start.

Stay strong!!!! Now, try to get some sleep.

4plumb said...

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isaiah

Keep praying, keep listening...

Amrita said...

Good for you . Don 't let her harass you and don 't bargain.

Take care.

Bad Alice said...

I'm glad you are standing up for yourself. I have to agree with some of the comments. I'm not sure it's a good idea to keep talking with her. She's sick and she'll hang on to these interactions as long as she can keep the connection, in the hopes of wearing down your resistance, trying to make you feel guilty, whatever. Whatever she's doing is from selfish motives. I'm not sure it's to anyone's benefit to keep meeting and talking. But I'm not in this situation and can't know the path you need to walk. I'll keep praying.

Jada's Gigi said...

Well brother, I;m sorry to hear how this is workin gout but not surprised. I am very glad you are taking steps to protect yourself and your boys...legal means may be you only resort. Still praying...God is still on His throne

Anonymous said...

Will, you are an amazing man. I don't know you very well - and have only read snippets here and there about this whole thing - she is a sick soul and you care. I would suggest that you don't allow her to take advantage of your qualities as an outstanding husband and father, but allow her to take advantages of your outstanding qualities as a Christian. I think if you approach it from that angle - think of her as a sick friend and offer to listen to her problems when she needs someone to talk to - but don't support her inordinate behavior. I would not allow her back into your home. She's currently not the person who is capable of being a mate, a wife, or a mother. That's too bad for her, I feel sorry for her.

She's missing out on one amazing man.

God bless you Will.